Minimum recommended setup?

I'e been thinking about getting woodworking tools so I can fill some needs around the house. I'd like to be able to make fairly simple things like shelves and bookcases, structure to organize closets, etc.

What are some minimum recommended tools? Not the small things like measuring tape or glue or the like, but the big stuff. A basic table saw probably, right? I'd like to be able to make strong joints like dovetail (or whatever the straight version of that is) so maybe a router is necessary, yes? Would you recommend a nail gun? It comes in really handy doesn't it?

Reply to
Pringles CheezUms

P-C, It depends on how lofty you set your goals. You can rough-cut plenty of wood with a $15 hand saw (and clean it up very nicely, if desired, with an inexpensive block plane). Bang-for-your-buck wise, you might pick up a decent cordless drill/driver if you don't have one. I pick up nails and screws on an as-needed basis. In fact, buying tools on an as-needed basis is probably a prudent way to proceed. If you don't have a place to work with reasonable lighting, and 15 Amps of current that is convenient, you might look into that.

If you are "organizing closets" then you probably don't require a table saw unless you want to have one.

I'm a beginner, and I can assure you that there are people here who can help answer most any questions that you may have.

Enjoy.. Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:48:18 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Yup. I think Bill needs to attend the etiquette class on how to get permission to buy tools ~ especially at this time of year.

And just a follow up for you Bill. Unless you get to specify the exact model numbers of the tools a wife can pick from, tell her you'd really, really like it if she took you along with her while shopping.

Unfortunately but true, is the fact that wives and girlfriends while their hearts are usually in the right place, often buy the most terrible tools or at the very least, spend way too much on a tool that they could have bought elsewhere much cheaper. Tool sales people are merciless when it comes to selling tools to women.

Reply to
Dave

Pringles CheezUms wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need a good cordless drill/driver set. Don't bother with the $20 specials, spend some real dough. Get one with a smart charger (shuts off automatically when done), multiple batteries, and both drill and impact driver.

Add to that a good circular saw (you can go portable, but a corded model is better for medium-light to heavy use), and you're well on the way to being able to do most house-hold tasks.

We've got book cases that have stood for years that are nothing more than 1x12s (Menards Select grade) that have been screwed together. They're in great condition still (except one is leaning--but a backer board would fix that).

If you're in a tool buying mood, a multitool like the Fein Multimaster would be a good purchase. Harbor Freight has a very servicable tool for around $20, or you can spend some more and get one that isn't as loud and doesn't vibrate the tool body as much.

You might look in to pocket hole joinery. It's strong and easy to do, but perfection does take some experience... and maybe a few more clamps. Kreg (one company that makes pocket hold jigs) is pretty proud of their stuff, but it does work.

What you really need is a project. They have a wonderful way of spurring tool purchases and showing where your current tools are inadequate or not designed for what you need to do.

Don't forget clamps. Buy them in multiples of 4. Build a storage rack for them and buy some more.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Depends on how serious you are, how much room you have, how much money you have.

My first tablesaw was a cheap Craftsman with the flimsy legs and aluminum top. It was OK for about a year and I built some nifty small stuff with it. Once I decided that, yes, I do like this hobby and will stick with it, I bought a Delta contractor type saw. Wow, amazing difference and much more capable for things like wide cross cuts, ease of setting the fence, etc. If you can do it, it is a great model. Sure, a 5 HP saw would be nice, but this certainly keeps up for me.

My preference for a router is one mounted in a table. I use that 99% of the time and hardly ever touch my hand held. The ability to do round-overs and grooves makes it a valuable tool.

Next for me is a sander. I have the Ryobi from Home Dept that uses a belt or spindle. Good value and performs well. Drill press and a small compressor rounds out most of the starter stuff. I do not have a nail gun, but I do have a stapler and brad gun. Buy them as you need them.

Don't forget clamps. Get at least two 18" and two 24" for starters.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

---------------------------------------------------------------------- During the first year, expect to invest $2,000-$2,500 in equipment.

A good table saw with the best fence available for it.

A set of quality 10" carbide saw blades (24T, 50T & 80T).

A quality 8" carbide dado set.

A bench top planer.

A basic router package with router bits added as needed for a project.

A 6" ROS sander.

Clamps, clamps & more clamps.

That pretty well shoots $2,500 and does not address a jointer, dust collection, band saw, and hand drills.

It is also not all bought the first day.

You will be surprised how quick it adds up, but that's life for a wood worker.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Get the metal bar clamps at Harbor Freight. They are a good value, and that way you'll money for all of the stuff on Lew's list.

You could have great closets (I hope they are lit)! : )

Reply to
Bill

First off figure out what you want to build. Exactly. Then maybe come her= e and ask what tools you need and how to use them to build whatever you wan= t to build. The people here will suggest many different tools and many dif= ferent ways to build whatever you want to build. Then figure out what meth= od you want to use to build the project. Then go buy those tools. Repeat = for the second, third, fourth project. Eventually you will have quite a fe= w tools. And many of the tools will get used over and over on every projec= t. I don't recommend going out and buying lots of tools to start. Not even= the basics such as a table saw and router. Wait until you know you are go= ing to use them. Best to get the tools as you need them for a specific pro= ject. You can make the decision whether to go high end tools or low end to= ols. Probably replace a few tools with better after awhile. Nothing wrong= with that. Its not wasted money since you used the cheaper tools for awhi= le and learned something.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Exactly ! In converting a propane grill to use natural gas, the instructions called for drilling out an intake valve with a #51 bit. Well, I tell you, that was exactly the reason I sprang for a 115 piece drill bit set. Couldn't have justified the expese otherwise.

Reply to
HeyBub

Check your communty's Craigslist. Recently I bought a low-end table saw (virtually new) for $35 and gave it to my son. I also bought two disk and belt sanders, the first was a 6" ($30) and the second was and 8" ($35).

Of course you'll have to differentate between immediate or probable use (table saw) or something of inconceivable usage (sheet metal brake).

Reply to
HeyBub

That's great advice (even if I didn't always follow it myself). There's a saying, "if all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail!" Apt for this discussion. Collect/buy the tools you need for the job at hand and the method you'll employ AFTER noodling the "problem" for awhile.

Faced with undercutting all the door jambs in the house to replace carpeting with flooring I "noodled" the best and easiest way to make accurate undercuts that wouldn't have me standing on my head in a closet doorway while I made them. Could have gone out and bought a machine made exclusively for that but...

I then remembered that I had a biscuit cutter. Using the biscuit cutter's height adjustment and a plywood shim in one case allowed me to undercut every jamb in the house, perfectly square in the time it would have taken Norm Abrams to cut one with a hand saw

This is referred to as "Tool Acquisition 101" Accustom SWMBO to the concept of "One Project, (at least) One New Tool." When you couple that with "If Mamma is Happy, EVERYBODY's happy" and do nice work on the projects that she requests, she's not going to complain about your tool purchases. If you luck out you may find, as I did, that SWMBO is your "bird dog." First married and still living in an apartment but planning a house, my wife spotted my first power tool purchase, a used RAS with a ton of accessories that has served me well for almost 40 years now. She is also the one who spotted a used Jet cabinet saw advertised in the local fishwrap and chased me over to buy it since she knew I wanted one (note that the word NEED is not necessarily part of the purchase strategem). So it goes with sales on quality tools seen in newspaper fliers, etc. No, she doesn't use them, can't use most of them. She's quite happy to assist when necessary and hold the dumb end of the tape measure.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yes, used is a great place to look, especially craigslist. My shop is a veritable showcase of craigslist scores that have saved me at least $1500 on my own "minimum recommended tools" acquisition, including a barely used $950 table saw I got for $225.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah, absolutely right. At lease he left an out for the poor guy by saying "probably..."

Reply to
Larry W

And lingerie to husbands and boyfriends.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Hoo boy this is much bigger than I expected! Cool. This get-what-you-need-per-project seems to be good advice. I'll start there.

I've already got a good drill, and what I think is a set of good bits so that's taken care of. Dewalt 24 volt (i think), two batteries. I use the charger that came with it but don't know how good a quality it is. Better be tho, retails for round a couple hundred bucks. (not that I paid that much, I'm pretty cheap...err, frugal. yeah, frugal. thatstheticket.)

I've used a handheld circular saw most of my life, and I could go borrow one of dads. But I'm a lazy son of a gun as well, and a table saw seems it would do it faster and smoother once I got used to it. Doubt it would go to waste, there always seems to be a better way to make things take less space than they do, know what I mean? Used seems to be the way to go.

Thanks all!

[...]

A good table saw is a great thing to have. But realize it is a slippery slope. You will find it great at ripping and OK at crosscutting, but eventually the limitations for crosscutting will become apparent. Then you will want a compound miter saw, sliding or not. Until you find you want to crosscut wider boards than it will do. Then you go back to the table saw and make a sled or two to help with that. Or you invest in a track saw.

By the way, if you take the time to learn how, you will find that a good quality properly sharpened handsaw will make much faster, cleaner and more accurate cuts than you ever would have suspected.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Lew, just curious--Is the 80T blade for trim?

I was expecting the Forrest WWII (40T) or the Freud "Premier Fusion" (40T) blades would be good for sawing through my cherry veneered (poplar) plywood, and for general FWW use. The latter is about $80 and the former $40 more.

Any benefit to going with a higher tooth count here?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------------------------------- I think of an 80T blade as the "plywood blade" rather than a solid wood cross cut blade.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That makes sense. Thanks.

I had done a little searching before I posted and I had noticed that the

80t blades were described as appropriate for veneered plywood, then I considered that other blade everyone talks about that can "do everything" (It's name rhymes with "poorest"). I think I have more of a Freud budget at this point. I already added the Dewalt Stacked Dado set to my "wish list" today.

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------------------------------------- Freud periodically has a package deal with a 24T, 50T and an 80T set of blades for a package price.

Do yourself a favor and stick with Freud.

Their 8" stacked dado is a winner.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett