mineral spirits

OK so I usually buy gallons labeled "mineral spirits" How does odorless compare to it and I also have seen "paint thinner" (label says made with mineral spirits} figure in? Same thing ??? I use it to thin poly and pure tung oil. Odorless would be a blessing if it works the same. Lee

Reply to
Lee

Given that it'll be just as toxic you should be wearing an organic vapour respirator anyways...at which point you can't smell either of them.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

For that, odorless sounds perfect. I use odorless, and it mixes fine with tung oil, danish oil, varnish, urethane, and every other oil- based finish I've used for mixing. I'm not sure about the differences between min. spirits, paint thinner, turpentine, etc. I suspect most are different names for similar products, but I'd be interested in hearing an informed answer. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Mineral spirits is an oil derivative. Odorless have been refined a bit more and for any of my uses, works just as well.

Turpentine is distilled from pine tree resin. there is a Canadian Balsam version also. It is often used in cleaning solutions as it has antiseptic properties. IIRC, it is used to get rid of head lice too.

Paint Thinner seems to be a catch all term, probably so they can mix together any solvents that happen to be available.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I've seen comments that turpentine actually is better for some conditions but I don't remember the specifics. I know I'd rather use a natural product from a remewable than a petroleum derivative. But it is harder to find and more expensive.

You got that right!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Paint thinner won't work in Robert's Grain Popping sealer:

1/3 BLO 1/3 2 lb. dewaxed shellac (canned = Seal Coat) 1/3 "real" turpentine

Keep it shaken, rag it on, wait a few, wipe it off. Check it one more time in 15-20 minutes and coat with any clear finish the next day.

**
**

B A R R Y