Mineral oil?

Wasn't it mineral oil most use on new cutting boards, rolling pins and such? Damned if I can remember, even if I've read it over and over. John

Yes, it is available as most any store in the H & BA department or the pharmacy.
You're right about the mineral oil. I believe there is a trick to getting the mineral oil to soak into the wood and not just make the surface slick that involves soaking or rubbing, but I'm not sure.
Thanks to you and to Edwin. If there is a trick I hope someone posts it as I'm ready to try it out! John
woodworker88 wrote:

I use unscented baby oil (I think it's mineral oil) and rub it in with superfine 4000 grit steel wool. It works great.

So have I but not with steel wool. You light a couple of candles, but on some soft music . . . .
I think maybe you're just putting too much on? I usually dribble drops down the length of the wood in question and then vigorously rub it around with a clean cloth until all the surface is noticeably moist looking, but not slick. It remains "oily" for a few hours, but usually it's quite useable after that.

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 16:00:59 +0000, Ben Gold wrote:

I re-oiled my Williams-Sonoma cutting board just last week. Set it on a couple paper towels. Pour on mineral oil. Spread it around with fingers. It's a deep puddle at this stage. Wait a few hours. Do it again. My board has, with this second application, consumed a pint bottle of mineral oil. (Less a few ccs that I used for this and that around the shop in the meantime.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

Better to use walnut oil. Sinks in, cures, gives a bit of water resistance without making a swiffer out of your cutting board.

But it can become rancid, and some people are allergic to it... Stick with mineral oil for food-related stuff.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Walnut oil is a drying oil - ii hasn't gone rancid on me. I've had very good results using it on chopping blocks - end grain. Works somewhat less well on long grain - although others have used it by dipping parts in heated walnut oil
Allergies could be a concern - probably less after the oil has dried.
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

resistance
It is a curing oil - does not become rancid in open air.
They're not allergic to walnut oil - one in 100,000 is allergic to some degree to nut proteins.
On the other hand, bacteria and oil-soluble foodstuffs of all sorts find comfort and shelter from detergents in an oil which does not cure. Not to mention dirt and dust collection.
Amen, Walunt or any food based oil is bad news. Pure mineral oil is best.

Whatever happened to Behlen's Salad Bowl Finish?
Max D.

Tung oil varnish.
I have used mineral oil on cutting boards and it gives a very nice finish. However, you will have to renew a couple of times a year if the board gets used much.. Good part is the stuff is cheap and you can keep it in the kitchen for finish renewals.

Mineral oil is not a finish. It will only penetrate and never harden. I does nothing for the wood in terms of a cutting board. It will make wooden kitchen items look good for a while, like until the first time it is used, and it is completely harmless to humans. It is a nice touch to pretty up a gift, and will last at least until the party is over. There is not real trick to using it, although warming the oil and/or the wood will help it penetrate. I like to put it on cutting boards and bowls. Rubbing beeswax over the top will prolong the look a bit.
For a nice drying oil, try this stuff: http://www.bowlmakerinc.com/catalognew.html?Vl=3&Tp=2&SortBy=ID
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:46:08 -0700, Pounds on Wood wrote:

It does fill up pores which would otherwise fill with water. I suspect that is the purpose.
I like your beeswax idea, will give it a try.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
Yes. Think of mineral as non-living or never living and therefore never spoiling and no rancid smell. It has low toxicity.

Dissolve paraffin wax in warm mineral oil. Use enough wax to form a soft gel at room temperature. Rub this into the cutting board. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/wgoffeney/Woodworking/Woodworking.htm