Min. recommended KVA motor for 20" bandsaw?

I'm looking at buying a used 20" bandsaw (Centauro CO 500) which is equipped today with a 480V 60 Hz 2.1KVA three-phase motor. For domestic use, this is too large a motor and being three-phase I'll have problems finding a way to run it. So, if I'll replace the motor with a 240V 60 Hz single-phase motor, what is the minimum KVA rating I can run that will handle most the type of jobs an amateur would encounter? To give you and idea of the types of jobs for which this machine would be used, I guess I do mostly sawing of hardwoods of 4" thickness or less. I'd run a 1/2" or 3/4" blade in the machine most of the time which would limit the tension on the drivetrain (the static load the motor would have to overcome).. There might be the occasionaly resawing task but it would only be rarely so I don't want to size the motor for that task. I currently have a 125 amp panel but will get an electrician to take a look at upping the panel to 150-200 amp and install a pony panel in the workshop. Would a 1.4 KVA motor be large enough not to stall?

Reply to
Robert MacKinnon

Nope, 3 to 5hp (approx 2100 to 3500 watts) on a 20in bandsaw for home use is NOT too much.

1.4kVa (approx 1.75 hp) is a bit on the light side. Look at the Laguna and MiniMax 20in range bandsaws, none are less than 3hp (2250 watts) and often are closer to 5hp (approx 3700watts)

John

Reply to
John

John, those motors are that size because they are designed to carry the max load that a 20" bandsaw could yield which is substantial resaw capacity. I think the OP was indicating that his use would be substantially less than the full capability of the saw, which should translate to lower horsepower requirements. I bet he could do fine with 1.75 hp, if all he wants to do is cut 4" hardwood. He just happens to have a 14" need with a 20" bandsaw. We should be so lucky.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have a 20" Powermatic #81 with a 1.5hp motor. I resaw up to 12". I use a 1/2" 3 tooth blade and the saw works great. If the motor ever goes south, I'd replace it with a 2hp motor, but I've had good success with the the setup I've got. I don't know what 3 to 5hp would be needed for.

The OP wants to resaw small stuff (4 or 5") That's hardly a strain on the saw.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Stein

FWIW, I agree with Rick based on experience with a 20" and a 14" BS. More importantly, I hope you are not changing out your electrical panel just because of this bandsaw. I assume you are adding the remote distribution panel in consideration of additional loads in the future and this will make it convenient to wire them- not because of any power consideration. If this is confusing, email me at snipped-for-privacy@flash.net. Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim L.