Milwaukee suggestions?

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 05 May 2004 22:27:56 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

Ooooh, Ohhhh, Oh - isn't that kinda passing through the city by the bay? oooooohh. I could only hope that chance and circumstance....
-Doug
PS: makes those missions of those of the Utah persuasion look like they might have some promise.
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Not all of us in the beautiful bay area are BAD.
scott
Yes please. My direct email is joetylickiATwiDOTrrDOTcom
Joe

Bob Schmall wrote:

Who wants to sit around with a bunch of old guys talking about woodworking?? Oh wait... I forget I'm *that* guy in my group of friends.... bunch of misguided miscreants.
Mark

woodworking??
We'll take that as a "yes."
Mapdude wrote:

Do you mean other than the oldest known Unisaw in existence?
Nova wrote:

Please call ahead for tour hours. Charter bus parking is available.
If I was going to Milwaukee I'd drop in and see Robert Ivens.
http://my.execpc.com/~rimco /
I'd also go by and pay homage to the old Delta plant on Vienna Street.
UA100, home of the oldest "known" Unisaw in Existence...

The Art Museum downtown has a good display of furniture and chairs. Its new spectacular addition by Santiago Calatrava is capped by a winged Brise Soleil. http://www.arcspace.com/architects/calatrava/milwaukee_art_museum /
Huh????????????
Bob Schmall wrote:

Mapdude wrote:

I live in Milwaukee and I don't understand it. Having seen it doesn't help either. ;)

It's easy to understand......government money was involved.
Dave Hall

help
IIRC, the addition was funded by donations. The Brise Soleil is a movable pair of "wings" designed by Santiago Calatrava, the same architect who has been selected to do the 9-11 memorial in New York. The Brise is a functional shade that can be raised and lowered over the main hall of the addition and has become the new signature for our lakefront. It is unique and beautiful
Bob
Bob

That's what I recall as well.

Yes, in sharp contrast to that orange I-beam starburst thing that obstructs the view of it. When that went up, it was widely regarded as exceptionally ugly. Now, 25 or so years later, it's even more so because it pollutes the view of the Calatrava.
Dave "not that I feel strongly about that piece of crap or anything" Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

This picture clearly portrays the issue.
http://www.jsonline.com/images/enter01/oct01/wingsbig091101.jpg
BTW, the orange sunburst thing is called 'The Calling'. Not sure why. I believe it's going to be moved.

I have a suggested location, and we could even get a penny a pound for it as part of the bargain.
Bob Schmall wrote:

Mapdude wrote:

sigh...
http://www.soasoas.com/april/gallery/viewImg2.cgi?dir=mam&id=Brise_Soleil_Details
And God bless Al Gore for inventing Google.
UA100
Wow!!! Now that would be something inneresting to see!
Unisaw A100 wrote:

I think it's a kind of cheese. Wisconsin, y'know.
Dave Hinz
Mapdude wrote:

If you don't have a Rockler or Woodcraft storefront where you're coming from, you could always visit their stores in Milwaukee. Also, depending upon where you're heading there's Kettle Moraine Hardwoods both North and South of Milwaukee. Do you happen to have kids along? There's a couple of nice places down on the lakefront to take them as well (not necessarily wood related, but hands-on things anyway). You could, maybe, call Milwaukee Tool and see if they have anything to check out. They're in a suburb outside Milwaukee. Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation 13135 West Lisbon Road Brookfield, WI 53005-2550 Phone: (262) 781-3600 Fax: (262) 781-3611 www.milwaukeetool.com
In addition, there is the Wisconsin Woodworker's Guild which meets in Milwaukee. http://www.wiscwoodworkersguild.org / You could probably contact the President for things of interest as well. Mark Bronkalla snipped-for-privacy@bronkalla.com www.bronkalla.com
HTH, and have fun! Mark
The Kettle Moraine location north of Milwaukee is just off the freeway near Hartland, a 30 mile trip. Aurora Rd? I think, not sure.
The south location is in Caledonia, it's at the Milwaukee/Racine county line on the west frontage road immediately adjacent to I-94 southbound.
Rockler and Woodcraft are both on Hwy 100 (108th St.) They're about 3 miles apart. The Woodcraft is ~1/4 mile south of Greenfield Ave., the Rockler is to the north, at about Wisconsin Ave. The Rockler is in a small strip mall. Woodcraft is next door to a tile store.
Elliott's Ace Hardware is a couple miles south of the Woodcraft at Oklahoma Ave. They've got a pretty fair selection of hand held power tools, and lots of hand tools too. One of the better hardware stores in town, IMO.