Milwaukee suggestions?

Cheese Curds. Brat. Old Style.

Reply to
mttt

Many moons ago (perhaps the 70's), when I was in beertown, there was a restaurant down by the lake called the "Safe House". If it is still there, you may want to check it out. (You enter through a phone booth, IIRC).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Didn't heilemanns shut down the brewery in LaCrosse? Where do they brew Old Style now?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's still there, fantastic sandwiches and fries. You can get in if you know the passphrase, or if you don't know it you get to do something silly (on camera, of course) for the amusement of the people already inside. You can go _out_ through the phone booth, through the hidden passage, but you'll want someone else to walk in front.

It's on "Front street" which is an alley, runs north for a block off of Wells, just west of water.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I remember that place - on Front Street. Think the sign said "International Import/Exports" or sumthin' like that. You entered into a small receptionist's lobby - and spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to open up the secret door. Blissfully unaware that you were being watched by the patron's on closed-circuit TV. You *exited* by a phone booth - had to ask your waitress for the special number.

Think it started in the 70's along with the Spy Boom. By the time I had got there - early 80's it was pretty run down but still fun.

Reply to
mttt

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" Say it ain't so, Joe! The World's Largest Six Pack - gone???

Reply to
mttt

Brewery is still there, it's just not Heilemanns anymore.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

We are still brewing beer in LaCrosse! It is now called City Brewery. Brands include City Light and LaCrosse Lager. Plus there are more such as seasonal brands. They also do a lot of brewing for other companies.

I've been to the "Safe House" myself, about 20 years ago. How time flies!

Reply to
ToolMiser

I can see their place from where I work

You're not thinking of Water Street Brewery? You may be able to see Lakefront Brewery from city hall, but you would be looking all the way across the river at the back of it.

We should setup a tour with the Milwaukee contingent from the wreck. I'm always up for brewery tour.

Not that I've seen. All stainless.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

I'm in the MGIC building (the tall one,not the goofy upside-down step pyramid one), so I can see both of 'em.

Yes, lets. Time / day / duration preferences anyone?

Right, buut white stainless, or red? Quartersawn or not?

Dave "Trying to work in a quarterbarrel reference and failing" Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm in.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

To keep it vaguely woodworking-ish, should we start with a visit to Rimco, and then work around to a brewery or three?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Any of you guys want to be reminded of the next Milwaukee 5,6, or 7 Pizza Night? The usual suspects are Rick Chamberlain, Keith Bohn, Tony Schmaling, Jeff Picard, David Charnon, and myself. We meet on a weeknight at someplace fairly central--Ann's, Edwardo's, Balistreri's, etc.

Bob

Bob Schmall

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Yes, please. What's the format - bring pictures of stuff, or just hang out, or ???

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz

Yes.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yes please. My direct email is joetylickiATwiDOTrrDOTcom

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

Who wants to sit around with a bunch of old guys talking about woodworking?? Oh wait... I forget I'm *that* guy in my group of friends.... bunch of misguided miscreants.

Mark

Reply to
Werlax

woodworking??

We'll take that as a "yes."

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Don't forget the initiation ritual for new members. Bob is in charge of that.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Right. Lamb costume, right?

Reply to