Milwaukee suggestions?

Page 1 of 3
Traveling to Madison and Milwaukee Monday. Any suggestions on things of interest to a woodworker?
In Madison go get a tour of the USFS Forest Products Lab on Walnut Street on the University Campus. These guys are the authority on half the stuff we deal with in woodworking - species and standards, glues, finishes, moisture and dimension, forefront products and techniques, health issues and on and on. They have useful reference publications available, as well.
Don't know what is available where you're coming from . . . Madison has a few hardwood sources - BVC Hardwoods, Workbench Tool Co - and equipment sources - Woodcraft, Workbench Tool, Marling Lumber - I've probably overlooked something. Milwaukee has some good sources as well.
Have fun.
Tim

You mean other than the beer factory?

If you're going for a brewery tour, go to Sprecher instead of, say, Miller. A bit more interesting equipment, and _much_ better beer at the end of the tour.
I heard that the Milwaukee Art Museum has/had an exhibit of furniture, but I don't know if it's still there, nor do I know if it was worth going to.
Dave, you tried the Lakefront Brewery tour? No need to wait for the end of the tour to indulge, they keep your glass full from beginning to end, and I prefer the product to Sprecher. You also get a nice 16 oz glass to take home, all for four bucks. Sprecher rocked 15 years ago when it first came out, but IMHO many of the other micros have surpassed them.
Joe

Ah, I'll have to do that. I can see their place from where I work (right across from City Hall), should take a friday afternoon & a group of us and go over there. Thanks for the suggestion.
ObWW: Do any of the microbrewers age beer in wood barrels anymore? White oak, right?
Dave
I can see their place from where I work

You're not thinking of Water Street Brewery? You may be able to see Lakefront Brewery from city hall, but you would be looking all the way across the river at the back of it.
We should setup a tour with the Milwaukee contingent from the wreck. I'm always up for brewery tour.

Not that I've seen. All stainless.
Joe

I'm in the MGIC building (the tall one,not the goofy upside-down step pyramid one), so I can see both of 'em.

Yes, lets. Time / day / duration preferences anyone?

Right, buut white stainless, or red? Quartersawn or not?
Dave "Trying to work in a quarterbarrel reference and failing" Hinz

I'm in.
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

On Mon, 03 May 2004 23:03:17 -0500, Australopithecus scobis

To keep it vaguely woodworking-ish, should we start with a visit to Rimco, and then work around to a brewery or three?

Any of you guys want to be reminded of the next Milwaukee 5,6, or 7 Pizza Night? The usual suspects are Rick Chamberlain, Keith Bohn, Tony Schmaling, Jeff Picard, David Charnon, and myself. We meet on a weeknight at someplace fairly central--Ann's, Edwardo's, Balistreri's, etc.
Bob
Bob Schmall

Yes, please. What's the format - bring pictures of stuff, or just hang out, or ???
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz

Yes.
UA100
@wi.rr.com says...

Don't forget the initiation ritual for new members. Bob is in charge of that.
--
Regards,

Rick

(Remove the HIGH SPOTS for e-mail)

Right. Lamb costume, right?

Nope--we've refined the ritual since Bohn was inducted. Now a bunny suit will do just fine. Chamberlain likes bunnies.
Bob

I just want you to know that the mental image I have going on right now is _not_ particularly pretty.

The actual sight was indescribable. We'll stay in touch, since we haven't had a pizza night for a while.

Particularly if Mr. Chamberlain is the very large man pictured in the photo of UA100. Dave, I might be running a little late that night.
On Wed, 5 May 2004 21:21:45 -0500, "Joe Tylicki"

Nah, that's just O'Deen.
He ain't even killed nobody in so long...
Even we can't remember.
I hear he's heading from SoCal to NoCal this weekend.
So we may have something new to remember.
(cf: golem)
(hey, if cohen is a cohen, what's a cohan - an irish cohen?)
Regards, Tom.