Milwaukee suggestions?

Traveling to Madison and Milwaukee Monday. Any suggestions on things of interest to a woodworker?

Reply to
Mapdude

In Madison go get a tour of the USFS Forest Products Lab on Walnut Street on the University Campus. These guys are the authority on half the stuff we deal with in woodworking - species and standards, glues, finishes, moisture and dimension, forefront products and techniques, health issues and on and on. They have useful reference publications available, as well.

Don't know what is available where you're coming from . . . Madison has a few hardwood sources - BVC Hardwoods, Workbench Tool Co - and equipment sources - Woodcraft, Workbench Tool, Marling Lumber - I've probably overlooked something. Milwaukee has some good sources as well.

Have fun.

Tim

Reply to
Ellestad

You mean other than the beer factory?

Reply to
KB8QLR

Do you mean other than the oldest known Unisaw in existence?

Nova

The Art Museum downtown has a good display of furniture and chairs. Its new spectacular addition by Santiago Calatrava is capped by a winged Brise Soleil.

Bob Schmall

If you don't have a Rockler or Woodcraft storefront where you're coming from, you could always visit their stores in Milwaukee. Also, depending upon where you're heading there's Kettle Moraine Hardwoods both North and South of Milwaukee. Do you happen to have kids along? There's a couple of nice places down on the lakefront to take them as well (not necessarily wood related, but hands-on things anyway). You could, maybe, call Milwaukee Tool and see if they have anything to check out. They're in a suburb outside Milwaukee. Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation

13135 West Lisbon Road Brookfield, WI 53005-2550 Phone: (262) 781-3600 Fax: (262) 781-3611

In addition, there is the Wisconsin Woodworker's Guild which meets in Milwaukee.

could probably contact the President for things of interest as well. Mark Bronkalla snipped-for-privacy@bronkalla.com

HTH, and have fun! Mark

Reply to
Werlax

Milwaukee? I suggest picking up a Sawzall.

dave

Mapdude wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

The Kettle Moraine location north of Milwaukee is just off the freeway near Hartland, a 30 mile trip. Aurora Rd? I think, not sure.

The south location is in Caledonia, it's at the Milwaukee/Racine county line on the west frontage road immediately adjacent to I-94 southbound.

Rockler and Woodcraft are both on Hwy 100 (108th St.) They're about 3 miles apart. The Woodcraft is ~1/4 mile south of Greenfield Ave., the Rockler is to the north, at about Wisconsin Ave. The Rockler is in a small strip mall. Woodcraft is next door to a tile store.

Elliott's Ace Hardware is a couple miles south of the Woodcraft at Oklahoma Ave. They've got a pretty fair selection of hand held power tools, and lots of hand tools too. One of the better hardware stores in town, IMO.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Reply to
Mapdude

I live in Milwaukee and I don't understand it. Having seen it doesn't help either. ;)

Reply to
Werlax

I think the exit for KMHW is Highway K, don't recall the actuall name of the street. You have to duck under the freeway to get to the frontage road that you will take north to KMHW.

IMHO, Elliot's pales in comparison to Neu's in Menomonee Falls (the hometown of the UA100), which carries Delta and General big iron, as well as an awesome asortment of everything else. Pay with cash and get 10% off your purchase. Neu's is on the westerly frontage road just south of the Highway Q exit (same highway you take to KMHW).

Joe Germantown, WI

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Please call ahead for tour hours. Charter bus parking is available.

If I was going to Milwaukee I'd drop in and see Robert Ivens.

'd also go by and pay homage to the old Delta plant on Vienna Street.

UA100, home of the oldest "known" Unisaw in Existence...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

sigh...

God bless Al Gore for inventing Google.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If you're going for a brewery tour, go to Sprecher instead of, say, Miller. A bit more interesting equipment, and _much_ better beer at the end of the tour.

I heard that the Milwaukee Art Museum has/had an exhibit of furniture, but I don't know if it's still there, nor do I know if it was worth going to.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think it's a kind of cheese. Wisconsin, y'know.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Wow!!! Now that would be something inneresting to see!

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude

Sound's like something to look into someday. But for me, we're talking serious distance. I'm near Mitchell Field. For whatever reason, someone decided there shall be no good hardware stores closer than a radius of 10 miles from the airport. Yeah, some True Values, but nothing *good*

That 10% off is sound>I think the exit for KMHW is Highway K, don't recall the actuall name of the

Reply to
Lazarus Long

World's best cheddar cheese? Get some! And some 'Old Wisconsin' sausage too! Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Dave, you tried the Lakefront Brewery tour? No need to wait for the end of the tour to indulge, they keep your glass full from beginning to end, and I prefer the product to Sprecher. You also get a nice 16 oz glass to take home, all for four bucks. Sprecher rocked 15 years ago when it first came out, but IMHO many of the other micros have surpassed them.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Ah, I'll have to do that. I can see their place from where I work (right across from City Hall), should take a friday afternoon & a group of us and go over there. Thanks for the suggestion.

ObWW: Do any of the microbrewers age beer in wood barrels anymore? White oak, right?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz