Milwaukee or Triton for table use?

One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch 1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust.
There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems like a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height adjustment breaks quickly.
The other "premier" table router would seem to be the Triton, but people complain on Amazon that the quality control is sketchy.
Have either of these problems been overcome recently? The local Milwaukee price is attractive, but since this will hopefully be the last router I get for my table, I hope to do it right even if it costs a few dollars more.
Toller wrote: > One of these days I need to upgrade my table router. I am using a Bosch > 1617; it is a bit underpowered and can be difficult to adjust. > > There is a Milwaukee 3.5hp available new locally for $200. That seems like > a great price, but several people complain on Amazon that the height > adjustment breaks quickly.
<snip>
Can't comment directly on either product; however, have a local Milwaukee service center less than 15 miles from me.
Over the years, they have bent over backwards to help me.
I have to assume it is not just local, but a corporate thing.
If you have a local Milwaukee repair center, it would strongly influence my decision.
YMMV
Lew

The early Tritons did have some problems that the manufacturer took care of. I have had one for 2 years and have had no problems.

too. Got mine on Amazon.
I'd get the big Hitachi if I were going to replace what I have. Good track record in this use and can't beat the price.

Lots of routers, all with problems sometime within their production schedules. Milwaukee had serious runout problems early. Now spindle is chatter free. Just how in the hell does a consumer make a decision with all this confusion goin' on; (did he fire 6)? Who knows. Some help at the http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html link awaits. ****************************************************************************** Toller wrote:

Not cheap, but this will end your adjustment problems http://www.benchdog.com/prolift.htm

And you *know* it's not cheap considering prices aren't easily found.
wrote in message

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1153654195_13211+808
$329
They had a cheaper model (that I have) but it has been discontinued for some reason.

Add on the cost of the router and it's starting to get into some serious money. It does look like a very hefty unit though. Any comments you can make on the unit that you have?
On a side note, for their international shipping, I'm gratified to see that Canada had the cheapest rates so at least they're not taking the opportunity to gouge every client.
wrote in message

The one I have was an aluminum body. IIRC, it was about $200. I use a socket in my drill to run it up fast for bit changes, run it back down to close to where it should be. Then I use the speed wrench for the final adjustment.
It is easily adjusted in very small increments with the provided gauge. It can be zeroed out from any setting. It holds the settings perfectly no matt how much wood you pas over the bit. I can't think of a single negative, nor would I want to be without one again.

Thanks. What router are you using with it? If it didn't cost you anything, would you switch that router (in this lift system) for another brand?

I have a Bosch 1617EVS. It has been very good, I got it at a good price at the time. It has done everything I've needed done so far, but I've not done any raised panels. If I ever do get into heavier work, a 3 HP would be good, either PC, Milwaukee, or any of the "better" brands.
wrote in message

it gets difficult to adjust. If yours doesn't, you are fortunate. Also, if you ever do a raised panel you will definitely want more power.

Corrosion is not a problem as it is mounted in the lift. The lift does the adjusting and the motor is just clamped into it.

Considering his is in a lift, corrosion won't be of any concern.

Ok thanks. I read on the Bench Dog site in the PDF manual for the Pro Lift that Milwaukee routers were not compatible with it. Keep it in mind should you ever decide to upgrade for making raised panels. :)

But so will either router. And no lift is going to solve the under powered situation that he is looking to solve.

True, this is just a part of a solution. One of many options.
Here's a full review of the Triton: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/tritonrouter.htm
Dean