Milwaukee Nail Gun, News to me.

Apparently Milwaukee has entered the nail gun market this year. Amazon has a very attractive price on a clipped head framing nail gun and apparently Milwaukee makes a full head gun also. Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 guns? I wonder if finish, brad, staple, etc.. will be offered some day.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
The current pneumatic product line is at http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category1rd_27_40027_-1_189936_362 what you want is already offered.

IBM5081 wrote:

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category1rd_27_40027_-1_189936_362
I'm sure to the question asked is "yes", but not I... :)
However, my reason for posting is to strongly suggest whatever framing nailer you buy, if any, be FRH, not clipped, simply for the additional holding power of a FRH nail. Some places have already striken them, all should.
Second minor gripe--not really very close to "woodworking"...alt.home.repair or alt.building.construction would have probably been closer targets...

Yeah, I was fishing for some experienced feed back. :~)

I am not really in the market as I have access to a Paslode hoseless. It works very well but I would prefer to use the full head rather than the clipped head that this particular gun uses.

Well actually all sized nail guns are have been discussed on this group for several years. Perhaps other groups may have been closer but wood working is wood working. Many many many discussions on home shops, fencing, room additions, etc. are discussed here.
Has anyone ever seen a nail pull the head through? I'd be real surprised. It's my thought that the codes against clipped heads are just another example of govenrment gone wild If things keep going, the govenrment will have to draw all the plans and hire all the workers, it's so hard to know all the BS that has to be accommodated. For example, I'm involved in a small 1500SF building project. The inspector told me today that there could be no unused breakers in the temporary service box and that all empty holes must be blocked off, even though there is a door on the box! He said a circuit could be added if a GFI breaker is used and he is called back to look at it! BULLSHIT!
I'm glad I dont have to show him my extension cord with alligator clips I use at some of the radio towers I visit occasionally. It might not meet code.
Somehow we need to work against this stuff. Our county has many inspectors, all with county pickups, who do nothing but drive around doing this kind of valuable work! Sometimes there are two of them in one truck! Becoming a Libertarian, Wilson

That's a really good question. I recently bought one of the framing nailers that HF had on sale (<$60); it'll supposedly shoot either FRH or CH nails.
In looking at the CH nails that it came with -- it doesn't really look like *that* much surface area's missing. No, I haven't done the math to figure out how much is really gone.
I'm not concerned about the (possibility of) code issues - I'm using it for projects around the house where it's handy to use, and the price was too much to pass up. If it survives the one main project I've got in mind for it (and I see no reason that it shouldn't), it'll have been money well spent.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

The whole clipped head, full head nail thing started in California in the earthquake prone areas from what I have been told. To date there are very few states or communities that have outlawed clipped head nails. On the plus side the roundrive nails which work well in clipped guns would seem to meet code.
Electrical inspectors can be a officious bunch of bastards in some areas but when I installed the electric for my workshop the inspector came out looked at the ground wire for the meter box and declared everything OK. What do you want for $35.00 in permit fees?
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Yes, it has been observed in failures in hurricane zones in comparison of neighboring structures which survived/didn't survive catastrophic damage and in similar investigations in tornado zones. I guess living in an area susceptible to strong storms I'm sensitive but it only makes sense to me. I don't have a reference at hand but I do recall at least one pretty good summary report from TX Tech.
I don't know about the earthquake susceptibility--possible there, too, I would suppose.

I do have to admit that the old clipped head nails were nasty. The new ones are much better. The Roundrive nails is all that I will use now.
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I didn't like the idea from the first time I saw it (clipped head, that is). Only purpose was to speed up construction to hold more nails in a magazine, nothing more. Not that higher productivity is necessarily bad in construction as in anything else, but some things just aren't as good as what they replace--clipped head nails were one instance where an innovation became widespread w/o direct immediate consequences that only show up later if you're one of the unfortunate...

The plastic collated nails are more expensive than paper collated. The wire collated nails even more so.
Find the Roundrive nails the next time you are out. They look pretty good.

Leon,
I have the clipped head nailer by Milwaukee. I first bought the Paslode but returned it. I like the Milwaukee very much. The Paslode was just a bitt too crude for my needs.
The Paslode "Roundrive" nails work very nicely in the gun and give you the advantages of a clipped head nailer without the round head nail costs. I bought a clipped head nailer for a couple of reasons.
1) Roundrive nails are cheap. Cheaper than the full round headed nails. 2) Plastic collated full head nails are a safety issue. I have been hit in the face several times by bits of plastic and read where a construction boss had had to pick bits of plastic out of the eyes of a few workers. 3) Wire collated nails are a PITA and expensive. You are out of nails in short order.
Why the Milwaukee? The design is great. Powerful. Amount of recoil is fair. It is lightweight too. Disadvantages to the Milwaukee? It holds a little more than one stick of nails. The plus side is that you can get in between the studs if you have to.
Would I buy another Milwaukee nailer? You bet.

Thank you sir, I'll certainly put it on my "watch" list.