Milwaukee half in. drill, which one to buy.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070403080503080502090109 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I've narrowed my search for my next project tool, down to two models. Milwaukee models 0234-6 and 0299-20 1/2 inch drills. Not sure why they would offer too similar models, unless maybe one is being phased out. They are the same price at my local supplier. Physical size isn't an issue, RPM is the same, variable reversing is the same. Other than the current rating (8 amps (more torque?) and 5 amps and the detachable cord) which is the better choice. I don't need or care for a detachable cord or quick change brushes. The only tool I've ever worn out the brushes on was my Dremel tool.I need the drill for this project, and I don't ever want to have to buy another 1/2 inch drill again. One is marked (the one I favour) Made in USA, the other is marked "Made by Milwaukee tools, Brookfield WI". To me, this is usually a sign that it's made elsewhere. I'd rather buy American, than off shore. I think I read somewhere that Milwaukee has been sold, or is that Porter Cable, to an offshore company. I really just want a really good tool, before they are all gone. It's not for commercial use, only around my house (and probably the kids houses too).
I'll be using it to drill holes in landscape and railway tires (less than 60 ties) for nails and rebar (to keep the retaining wall in place).
Thanks for your comments.
--------------070403080503080502090109 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="nirodac.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="nirodac.vcf"
begin:vcard note;quoted-printable:There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary,     and those that don't!      version:2.1 end:vcard
--------------070403080503080502090109--

I'd go with the 299-20. More power, extra length to accommodate the bigger motor, no detachable cord. If they're the same price @ the dealer, then you're really paying a premium for that detachable cord on the smaller drill. I have the 3107-6 version that I bought reconditioned, the only thing that impressed me more was the big "Hole Hawg" my SIL used(commercial plumber) for punching BIG holes through walls. Had a 2' pipe handle on side, but you better NOT have it locked on, because if the bit binds and catches, you will NOT hang onto it!
--
Nahmie
If one runs at a higher speed and you will be using it more for wood working I recommend that one. The faster speeds tend to cut cleaner holes with less tear out.

If you think you will also need to drill holes in concrete around the house you might consider a Hilti hammer drill. Jim.

I have the 0234-6, which is the older model. It works just fine and I have never been able to stall it. These drills are sold factory-reconditioned, so if you will have limited need for a heavy-duty drill like these, check the web to find one at reduced cost. http://www.powertoolservices.com/drills.htm Unless you use it as part of your daily work, either one will likely outlive you.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------070808080801030501070203 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Oh, I like those prices, and for the number of times I'm going to use this drill, that might be the way to go. Thanks for the tip. I'm still leaning towards the 8 amp model, gotta have more power!!! Thanks for the tip.
Thomas Kendrick wrote:

--------------070808080801030501070203 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="nirodac.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="nirodac.vcf"
begin:vcard note;quoted-printable:There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary,     and those that don't!      version:2.1 end:vcard
--------------070808080801030501070203--

What the man said about hanging on to this tool bears repeating. These have a bunch of torque, and can injure the unwary.
Remember that Tim Taylor was on a first name basis with the ER techs.
Patriarch
I have the 300/1200 rpm Hole Hawg 1/2" drill as well. I respect it very much every time I turn it on, watching for how it might whack me if it stalls on the 300 rpm setting. It DOES cut a 2" hole in record time with a self-feeding bit.
On Sat, 14 May 2005 22:49:13 -0500, Patriarch