Milling stock

I'm in need of some help. I have just started woodworking. When i go to run the stock on the jointer the last inch of the stock gets cut deeper than the rest of the board. Am i applying pressure wrong or what? Also i bought yellow pine at home depot not in the rough to build a mock up. is that going to be hard for me to work with compared to another type of wood?
I'm in need of some help. I have just started woodworking. When i go to run the stock on the jointer the last inch of the stock gets cut deeper than the rest of the board. Am i applying pressure wrong or what? Also i bought yellow pine at home depot not in the rough to build a mock up. is that going to be hard for me to work with compared to another type of wood?
It sounds like your outfeed table is too low. It should be at the same height as your cutter blades. Push a board part 1/2 way and then stop the joiner. Now look closely at the gap between the outfeed table and the bottom edge of the board. The table should be raised until it just touches the cut edge of the board.
I think that after you make the above adjustment, you won't have the problem that you have been having any more.
--
Charley

"Tideman" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Hello Tideman, A few questions and comments; Have you determined if the outfeed table of your jointer is on the same plane as the blades of your cutterhead? If so, when you push stock across the table do you always push with pressure over the infeed table? I use a little infeed table pressure to get started and then try to use only outfeed table pressure and pushing from the back side. This way I won't cause the board to dip down at the rear as I cross the cutters. If the blades are not in the same plane as the outfeed table you must align them by adjusting the table (if possible) or resetting the blades. With regard to Yellow Pine, it will be harder to drill and screw than white pine or poplar but it should machine up well with any decent power tool and a good blade. Are you building a full size mock-up? What are you making? Marc

Thanks for resonding, i thought i was putting to much pressure on the infeed table so i did what you said, put all pressure on outfeed after the board is on the outfeed table. Yes i am building a full size so i can work out any problems i come across. im building a tv stand.