Millers Falls No. 2 drill

I just got my 1st one of these, with 6 original bits but without the side handle and at a great price. I just need to know how the chuck is loosened from a tight closed position. I got the chuck off the threaded shaft but I cannot see how the jaws open and close, it looks like the chuck has two holes on the bottom on either side of the thread hole so is that the lower bottom peice turns, apart from the upper connicle part that has the jaws? Like maybe I need a spanner U-wrench to loosen it?
Thanks anyone who can help,
Alex
If the lowest part of the chuck, no idea what to call it, has flats use a wrench an them and a soft jawed pair of pliers, strap wrench or maybe just your hand. The chuck IIRC is a base piece, with the flats, and a top piece that screws down onto it. As the top piece screws down it compresses the jaws to hold the bit in place. If it doesn't come loose with a little pressure add penetrating oil and wait, maybe a few sharp taps to help the oil work it's way in. I've done a few this way. Once it's is apart clean everything, remove any burrs and reassemble. enjoy. Joe
AArDvarK wrote:

Should have included this in the first reply http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/mf.htm Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

Thanks Joe, a kind reply. I found that the chuck is one solid peice with sprung jaws inside. I gave it some tapping and the jaws went back down into the chuck. Now I have it soaking in wd-40 in a covered can. The grit build-up is too much, and the jaws and spring need to be worked. I noticed the way it works, place in a bit and tighten by screwing the chuck down the thread shaft, as tightened it will stay that way while in use, but I still like the key type better.
Alex
AArDvarK wrote:
<snip>

To tighten or loosen the chuck hold the chuck with one hand and turn the crank with the other.
AArDvarK wrote:

few that looked to be one piece, but it was due to a very precise fit between the bottom oiece and the base. There's also a circular piece inside that the shafe presses upwards to tighten the jaws. When unscrewed the shaft releases the pressure and the springs push the jasw open and down. wish I had one in front of me to look at so I could describe it better. Maybe I'll remember when I get home. joe