Miller Dowel System?

Anyone here used the Miller Dowel System? Is it worth the $20+?
--
HomeBrewer

http://home.earthlink.net/~t3e871/index.html

Detailed Review Here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/millerdowel.htm Read and draw your own conclusions :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig - Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill - Workshop Essentials Under $30 - Festool PS 300 Jigsaws - Delta Universal Tenoning Jig ------------------------------------------------------------
Dean Bielenowski writes:

I was a little rougher on them when I first saw them. Some time ago, but my first feeling was very simple: what's the point?
I've seen nothing to make me change that opinion.
Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman
I am still confused... What advantage does this have over an ordinary dowel?

It is more expensive and single sourced. Of course, *who* this is an advantage for isn't the buyer...
I use it extensively in the high school program where I teach and feel it is a very good value.
Jack Grube
How is it better than a standard dowel that has been sanded down the edge just short of where the end will be exposed?

is a

My only guess is it fits into a tight hole a lot easier. Instead of fitting a 2" glue covered dowel into a tight 2" deep hole, the Miller only has a 1/2" or so of close fit to overcome. Taken to the extream it would be a cone shaped peg. I suppose I could see the advantage if you had to install a bunch of 4" long dowels...
-Bruce
Leon wrote:

Jack Grube responds:

But what does it DO that regular dowels and brad point bits don't do?
Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman

is
Ultimately I think it may provide a weaker joint if the dowel is smaller at the joint line than a dowel you would be using normally. BUT, I think the whole idea is that since the dowel is tapered in design, you can put it in almost all the way before any contact is made. Insertion is easier. With a typical dowel there is wood contact during the entire process of sliding the dowel in. If you know what you are doing with a regular dowel that is not much of a problem anyway.