Military Drill Canes - Pricing??

I am to make a number of military drill canes for a Canadian Artillery Regiment, and was wondering what I should charge per cane. They are providing the wood (cherry) and the bullet casings that top the canes. I was thinking of $60 (CDN) per cane. It takes about 3 hours from raw wood to finished product (not including finishing time). Any suggestions for a price would be appreciated, thanks, Nav

What are military drill canes? Are they used to cane the imps^Hcadets to get the proper drill?

If you are happy with $20/hr, go for it. Is there any way to streamline the process since you will be building a lot of them? I find that setup time is a major portion of the time spent on projects. If so, you may find the build time per unit can drop significantly when you build a lot at once.
Frank
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:36:21 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

idea how much. Sorry don't kinow URL. Ken in NS
--------------000106020408070603070101 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
http://www.army.dnd.ca/rcr_rhq/English/Unit_Kit_Shop/Unit_Kit_Shop_e.shtm
There ya go.
John
snipped-for-privacy@usenet.ca wrote:

Frank
--------------000106020408070603070101--
--------------000808060205050001070305 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Drill Cane - Cadet, w/Black Leather 94.40 Drill Cane - Cadet, Wood 79.20
snipped-for-privacy@usenet.ca wrote:

Frank
--------------000808060205050001070305--
Eddie Munster responds:

90 bucks sounds a little more reasonable, getting his gross per up to 30 bucks an hour...which he should be able to cut as he gets more efficient (cut the hours, not the gross).
Sounds like USMC swagger sticks, which, I think, were outlawed not too long after I got out. Too easy to do major damage to a boot when you're pissed, I think.
Charlie Self
Those are 2002 prices. And Canadian dollars, from RCR.
I quoted those because in the 2003 list I couldn't fine the "non leather" one listed. Just the one with leather, but at the same price. I wonder if there is something to this and a demand is not being met?????
Anyway, don't be so cheap as to put yourself out of business. And if your product is nicer, charge what it is worth. And tell your customers why it is worth more, if it is. Sell the sizzle! People always try to be the cheapest. Even with a superior product.
John
Charlie Self wrote:

My Nickel's worth, as an old soldier. The canes you are referring to are to be used by Company Sergeant Majors (CSM), so they should reflect the fact that he (she ?) is the most senior non commissionned member of the company, owed respect by all non-coms and privates and spoken to with deference by all junior officers.
The cane, about 36 inches in length, is the symbol of the Sergeant Major's appointment. (His rank is usuallu Master Warrant Officer, which he wears on his sleeve). Tradition has it that they are handed down from CSM to CSM within a company, unless the regiment chooses to give it to the CSM as a souvenir of his appointment.
If you are actually making these icons, I do not think you should price them according to what army cadets pay for theirs. With the quality work you can probably produce (Hey, the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery asked you), you should not be shy to ask 200 $ for each.
Pierre Brassard.

If they were for the old 1CSR or CFSCEE I think you should get at least 120 dollars each, plus ensure you get a contract and 30% deposit before doing any work.
If they are for any infantry, artillary, or other unit of CAF unit charge whatever you think is fair.
Ho Ho Merry Christmas.
deltaecho
I could be wrong, but what you are referring to is called a "Pace Stick" if I am correct. They go for over $200.00 i'm pretty sure.

No, pace sticks are something else. Nav
js wrote:

Ah. As I said, I could be wrong. :) .
Hey maybe thats something else you could look at making as well, while we are on subject. Just a thought.

why are you not including finishing time? include it then figure out how much you would make a hour.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

You got the contract before they knew the price? How American-DoD-esque! :)

well concidering the US military spends over 200 bucks for a 3.99 hammer those canes should be um in the nieborhood of..... let me see...... oh... about 6000 dollars each US or roughly 25000 dollars canadian!!!!!!!!!! :-]
seriously 90 to 100 each is a fair price. they get quality product and you make a profit. thats what its all about nav. skeez