Mid-Hudson Valley NY options post Woodworkers Warehouse

I'm a member of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association and the other day was asked by a non-member associate where to buy shop tools in this area now that Woodworkers Warehouse is gone. I figure that if that guy, a long time local, doesn't know then there are probably folks here that may not know. Rest assured there are a number of locally owned vendors--though they may not be obvious sources for woodworking shop tools!

Fowler and Keith Hardware, Kingston, NY is now stocking General stationary tools. They have also had Delta for decades. They tend to cater to commercial customers (e.g., railroad, schools, apartment complexes, contractors, etc.) but are open to the general public. I was very happy to be able to buy a NOS Millers Falls iron for a No 22 plane from these folks. They've been in business since the 19th century!

Williams Lumber (Rhinebeck) also carries Delta and Dewalt and is stocking Kreg Jig items. They have several other locations and cater to both contractors and the general public. One of their managers is an NWA member and is a very helpful and talented turner.

Welch Industrial, Kingston, is a Jet dealer and also carries Milwaukee and myriad precision tools (e.g., Starrett, Brown and Sharpe, etc.). They primarily sell to commercial accounts but are open to the public. I know the "kids" who now run the business.

A relative new-comer to shop tool sales is Warren Cutlery in Rhinebeck. They are a stocking dealer for Woodstock International's Shop Fox line. Open to the public. The owner is also a member of NWA.

And for the big-box fans, from what one of the clerk's told me Lowe's apparently will order any Delta tool. Only a customer.

I mentioned my connection to the above in case someone thinks this is a spam ad... it's not, I'm just trying to be helpful!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Man, that's great! Glad you're helping to keep them in business! Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

You mean stores, other than Home Depot and Lowes sell tools? Probably 80% of the population don't know that there are other very good sources. Thanks for helping your local guys a bit. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This may be a bit of a trek (1 1/2 hours), but as the Woodworker's Warehouse in Latham NY was closing, across the street a new Woodcraft store opened up. Highly recommended. They have in stock most of the catalog.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

I've been up there... it is a bit of a trek! There are other vendors up in the Albany area and also down near Middletown (Tool Factory Outlet--they have a web site and retail store) but that is a trek too from the Kingston/Rhinebeck area.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

[snip]

The Tool Nut (

) has moved to Route 6 in Mahopac. I've seen large Delta saws ( three phase, much bigger than a unisaw ) in their store. They also carry small stuff like unisaws and HD shapers.

Reply to
Ed Clarke