Microwave wood drying

Seeking information on using a microwave oven to dry small pieces of green fruit wood. ( 1 to 3 inches in diameter and 10 to 12 inches long ). Is it possible, and if so, how long would it take to dry? Any other pertinent information would be appreciated.

Reply to
edsawall

Microwaving steams the wood from within. Turners dry in the microwave a lot. I like low energy settings and many cycles, some like to zap the daylights out of it. You will get some color/figure degradation from the steaming, however, which is why I won't do an exceptional piece in the microwave.

Try rec.crafts.woodturning,

search for the microwave, and enjoy the often contradictory information.

Reply to
George

Wood magazine did an article on using a microwave to dry wood a bunch of years ago, check thier index. Specifically it was for bowls that were turned green, and dried in the microwave to remove the drying time,,,, take the bowl out of the microwave and put back on the lathe to complete the project.

Reply to
fledgling blacksmith