Microwave in shop?

(I should know better than to join this thread but can't resist.)

If a toasted marshmellow remains white on the outside, then how do you know when it's done? This strikes me as fun for showing grandchildren...

...And to the list of things NOT to microwave I would add gummy worms and fresh pecans (DAMHIKT).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Peeps are fund to watch. Just put it on high and watch the show.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

By the smell.

Oh, absolutely. Kids love it.

Doug Miller

On a serious note (gotta try the marshmallow thing, though), I nuke vinegar+salt to get a supersaturated solution for derusting. The hot solution also speeds up the reaction. Plastic peanut butter jars, however, melt disastrously in this application. damhikt.

Also rewarms once-hot beverages, saving a trip to the kitchen.

The 'wave softens paraffin (wax) + solvent when making screw lube.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Ummm. Aren't paraffin and solvents flammable (inflammable? see recent posts) I wouldn't nuke anything that could explode.

I use mine for heating coffee. Once I used it to heat up some rubber 'tires' (formerly hockey pucks with the centres drilled out) and it worked ok.

Reply to
Rob Mitchell

Quite. The microwave is far more desireable than an open flame, or even an electric element heater. Home microwave ovens are tuned to the H-O bond in water. The wax, mineral spirits, and whatnot in my screw lube are poor antennas for that microwave frequency. So they warm, but not as fast as aqueous materials. Bonus, the small oven would contain a small fire. I wouldn't recommend doing large quantities this way, in case the fan is sparky.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis