Microwave in shop?

Page 1 of 2
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and what do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.
Rusty snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
I use mine to warm up my coffee and once and a while my lunch.

frozen burritos, the frezzer is in the shop where my wife demands to park every now and then
Runnonmt wrote:

(Runnonmt) wrote:

Keeping your coffee warm... Duh! :-)
Seriously, though, some turners use microwaves to dry thick turning blanks. Do a Google groups search for microwave on the group rec.crafts.woodturning and you'll see some ideas.
I may be imagining this, but I seem to recall a post here not too long ago about using a microwave to heat/soften wood for bending. Google again...
Yes, I've also seen some reports on bending. Yet another use: softening glue. Most glues will soften with heat. White glue or yellow PVA that's recent will turn plastic. For older PVA, add a little water to the joint before heating. Do not use popcorn setting, however. --Gerry
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:04:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Runnonmt wrote:

Warming heat pads to ease my back, reheating coffee and food, oh and drying smalll wooden objects....
It will chase bugs out of small pieces of wood.

Great for destroying CDs/DVDs if you have any sensitive data on them. Cover them with a paper towel and cook em on high for 10-30 seconds with the shiny side up. Oh, don't breathe the fumes either.
Oops, wrong hobby.

Mythbusters spun them on a router until they came apart. Great fun in slow motion.
I've used a microwave for straightening out the lid of a small carved mahogany(ish) box,which had warped badly. Wrapped it in wet rags, and put it on defrost for a while. Once it was really hot (too hot to handle with bare hands) I clamped it down flat and left it in clamps for around 24hrs. There was a slight amount of spring-back, which I was able to take out with a block plane. A couple of years later, it's still ok.
I've also used it for drying wedges, an up-to-date version of the old boy's trick of putting their wedges for whatever job in an oven and baking them. Once they're bone dry, they will never shrink any further, and the only effect that changes in humidity will have is to further tighten them.
Cheers
Frank
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:45:00 +0100, Frank McVey wrote:

Thanks Frank. I gotta remember this one - the old "wedgie" trick ;-)
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Runnonmt) wrote in message

If you use a biscuit joiner, a microwave is good for drying the biscuits so they fit nicely in the slots. 30 seconds on high repeated once or twice with a minute inbetween for cooling will take care of a handful or two.
--

FF

On 01 Oct 2004 14:47:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Runnonmt) wrote:

Burritos? Popcorn? Defrosting meat for the grill?

You won't get cat parts all over the kitchen - the wife is sure to love that.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Runnonmt wrote:

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"
On 01 Oct 2004 14:47:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Runnonmt) wrote:

Haven't seen anyone mention shrinking oversized biscuits yet.
On 01 Oct 2004 14:47:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Runnonmt) wrote:

The most fun you can have with a microwave:
Open microwave. Insert AOL CD. (If you don't have an AOL CD, one by Enya or Kenny G. will do.) Turn off room lights. Select 5 seconds on timer, hit "Start". Enjoy the show. Sparklies, cracklies; fun for the whole family.
Michael (Should I post this on the "All-ages" newsgroup?) Baglio

On a serious note (gotta try the marshmallow thing, though), I nuke vinegar+salt to get a supersaturated solution for derusting. The hot solution also speeds up the reaction. Plastic peanut butter jars, however, melt disastrously in this application. damhikt.
Also rewarms once-hot beverages, saving a trip to the kitchen.
The 'wave softens paraffin (wax) + solvent when making screw lube.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Australopithecus scobis wrote:

posts) I wouldn't nuke anything that could explode.
I use mine for heating coffee. Once I used it to heat up some rubber 'tires' (formerly hockey pucks with the centres drilled out) and it worked ok.