Mibro dado set, good, bad, ugly?

I didn't turn up much on this set. One good, one bad, one neutral. I could use a bigger sample.

I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now. I've heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a living, but I expect I will use the thing a great deal. Much of my saw work of late has involved making many repeat passes to cut all of the things dado sets are good for, and I think a dado set would quickly justify the hassle of swapping it on and off.

Basically, two different but related questions here. First, why the $50 Mibro over the $20 HF, or vise versa? Second,is it better to get one of these, or just continue to do without until I can afford something like the Freud or Forrest?

Is that ~$95 Freud set at Lowe's pretty decent? POS that my TS is, I wouldn't put a Forrest anything on it, and I do like my Freud combintion blade.

Speaking of which... I happen to have two identical Freud blades... Could I get by without a dado set a bit longer by putting both of them on the arbor, separated by a washer or something? I could double the bite I take on each pass at least, and maybe put off the need until I can afford a quality set.

Reply to
Silvan

Check the RPMs before you buy. My saw RPMs are higher than the HF's max RPM.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd probably stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...

Reply to
Brian

> Brian.

This photo shows the max RPM is 9000, twice the 4500 (IIRC) of the HF set.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

The following is even better and it's in your price range. I did a comparison with my Forrest dado stack and I think it(the HF) works better. The HF has 6 teeth/chipper blade and the Forrest has 4/blade. The $20 HF has 2 teeth/blade.

last month I promised some pictures of the comparison cuts but just haven't got around to it(making Xmas gifts) but, maybe, the next week or so.....

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Good point. Probably not an issue, since I have a cheapass TS. Can't say what it is off hand, but every blade I've looked at was rated much higher than this thing can do. Still definitely worth a look though.

Reply to
Silvan

$50 was a pretty firm and painful top limit, so this definitely bears consideration.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Reply to
Silvan

This seems to answer a question I had thought about posting. At the Big Lots store nearby they have a few Mibro drill bits (7/8" for $4) and I was wondering about quality. Most of the Big Lot stuff is junk but they occasionally have good quality closeouts. Sandvik chisel set for $8 and Vermont American countersinking set for $4 are examples.

I was wondering if Mibro was good closeout stuff or just cheap stuff. I'm guessing it's cheap stuff.

Reply to
Jim K

ayup! i bought some mibro router bits at big lots a few years back. they were CHEAP and CHEEP. they were only a dollar apiece and almost worth that. threw most of em away. if the dado set is no better than the bits [and it probly aint] i would leave em on the shelf. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Brian wrote in rec.woodworking

I have the Mibro 8" dado set and have had nothing but positive experiances with it. Comes with a fancy little wood case too.

BigDog

Reply to
BigDog