Mibro dado set, good, bad, ugly?

I didn't turn up much on this set. One good, one bad, one neutral. I could use a bigger sample.
I'm on the market for a dado set. $50 is about my top right now. I've heard the $20 HF set isn't bad if you don't do dadoes for a living, but I expect I will use the thing a great deal. Much of my saw work of late has involved making many repeat passes to cut all of the things dado sets are good for, and I think a dado set would quickly justify the hassle of swapping it on and off.
Basically, two different but related questions here. First, why the $50 Mibro over the $20 HF, or vise versa? Second,is it better to get one of these, or just continue to do without until I can afford something like the Freud or Forrest?
Is that ~$95 Freud set at Lowe's pretty decent? POS that my TS is, I wouldn't put a Forrest anything on it, and I do like my Freud combintion blade.
Speaking of which... I happen to have two identical Freud blades... Could I get by without a dado set a bit longer by putting both of them on the arbor, separated by a washer or something? I could double the bite I take on each pass at least, and maybe put off the need until I can afford a quality set.
Silvan wrote:

Check the RPMs before you buy. My saw RPMs are higher than the HF's max RPM.
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Good point. Probably not an issue, since I have a cheapass TS. Can't say what it is off hand, but every blade I've looked at was rated much higher than this thing can do. Still definitely worth a look though.
The 8" Freud professional set is on sale now for 69.99.... I'd probably stretch the extra 19.99 to get it...
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Brian.

Brian wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
This photo shows the max RPM is 9000, twice the 4500 (IIRC) of the HF set.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)#more-pictures
-- Mark
Brian wrote in rec.woodworking

I have the Mibro 8" dado set and have had nothing but positive experiances with it. Comes with a fancy little wood case too.
BigDog
--
To E-mail me, you know what to do.

could
The following is even better and it's in your price range. I did a comparison with my Forrest dado stack and I think it(the HF) works better. The HF has 6 teeth/chipper blade and the Forrest has 4/blade. The $20 HF has 2 teeth/blade. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberD566
FWIW last month I promised some pictures of the comparison cuts but just haven't got around to it(making Xmas gifts) but, maybe, the next week or so.....
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO
Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

$50 was a pretty firm and painful top limit, so this definitely bears consideration.
Thanks for mentioning it.
I haven't bought ANY Mibro products that was what I call "high quality".
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:20:11 -0500, Silvan

This seems to answer a question I had thought about posting. At the Big Lots store nearby they have a few Mibro drill bits (7/8" for $4) and I was wondering about quality. Most of the Big Lot stuff is junk but they occasionally have good quality closeouts. Sandvik chisel set for $8 and Vermont American countersinking set for $4 are examples.
I was wondering if Mibro was good closeout stuff or just cheap stuff. I'm guessing it's cheap stuff.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:38:51 -0600, Lawrence A. Ramsey

ayup! i bought some mibro router bits at big lots a few years back. they were CHEAP and CHEEP. they were only a dollar apiece and almost worth that. threw most of em away. if the dado set is no better than the bits [and it probly aint] i would leave em on the shelf. skeez