Metric

Page 9 of 16

And are plotting to take over the world. :)

Then what is an adulterated joke?

OK, here we go,
I wood'a been funnier if it had been ,,,,,

Exactly. It is the Knights Templar.

I need more info. Whose tongue in whose cheek? Which cheek..come on.. I'm trying to understand..
=0)

Nor is it uncommon to find metric rules marked in 1/2mm.
However, this is a woodwork group not an engineering group and such accuracy has no use when dealing with a material that shrinks and expands so much with temperature and humidity
Stuart wrote:

Unless, of course, such accuracy is actually needed...
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Heat.html http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot / http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/LLJ / http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Bevel /
...sometimes engineering and woodworking /do/ overlap. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Robatoy wrote:

One has to look at the basics for each system:
1 meter = one ten-millionth of the distance from the pole to the equator measured along the prime meridian.
1 pound = "A pint's a pound the world around"
Now I ask you: which is more meaningful to the average person?
[...]

which I think means 16oz in a lb and 16oz in a pint, but only in the US. An Imperial pint is 20 fl oz the world around.
Tim W

Too bad it's wrong. A pint is 1/8 of a gallon or 20 ounces. A gallon of water (a real one, not the wimpy American kind) is 10 lbs., so one eighth of 10 lbs is not one pound.
Same goes for the silly Yankee gallon, which is eight point something pounds.
Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really shines. For linear distances, it doesn't really matter what you use: inches, mm, cm, feet, cubits, whatever.
I was trying to figure out how much rain on my roof it took to fill a 45-gallon drum (55 gallons to you, Bubba). How many cubic inches in a gallon??? While translated in to metric system, it was all straightforward once I knew how many litres in a gallon.
Luigi

Too bad it's wrong. A pint is 1/8 of a gallon
Correct
or 20 ounces.
Or 16 ounces.
A gallon of water (a real one, not the wimpy American kind) is 10 lbs., so one eighth of 10 lbs is not one pound.
No you are wimpy. ;~) You muscles are so weak you think a gallon of water feel like 10 lbs. We Americans are so strong a gallon of water only feel like about 8 pounds.
Same goes for the silly Yankee gallon, which is eight point something pounds.
I'll give yo a little there, the Yanks gallons are mostly from NEW YORK CITY. We Southerners think a gallon feels like 7.8 pounds.
Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really shines. For linear distances, it doesn't really matter what you use: inches, mm, cm, feet, cubits, whatever.
Cuz it is easier for the "challenged" to figger out? ;~)
I was trying to figure out how much rain on my roof it took to fill a 45-gallon drum .
It would take, ummm 45 gallons I bet'cha
How many cubic inches in a gallon??? While translated in to metric system, it was all straightforward once I knew how many litres in a gallon.
How many cubic mm's in a gallon? ;~)
Just yankin your chain. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Really? What is the metric unit for weight?

Bakatcha :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Hey it was the other guy that said
Actually, volume and weight is where the metric system really shines.
Leon wrote:

So he did. Sorry - attributions got all screwed up somehow.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Blame it on your news reader! LOL... I blame my news reader and it's Spell Checker, that only works when I spell words correctly, and does not when I don't.

Depends on where you live. Up here in the great white north, metric is and has been invading most everything. That is, except for the food that we export up from the US. And, considering that 90% of our food comes from the US, it's a wonder we don't all starve deciding how to allocated all those pounds and quarts of food.

We're bound to go metric pretty soon. After all, isn't Mexico on the metric system.
nb

Metric or not, a pound is half a kilo, an ounce is 100 g or 1/1 a kilo. At least when I was a child. I think now they are getting confused ... Must be because of the ...
--
Best regards
Han

Een ons vlees. was 100 gram/ 500 gram 'een pond'. My grandfather always talked about 'duim' (thumb)..I guess about an inch. At our house in The Netherlands, the indoor temp was always in degrees F. Everything else was metric.
a 100mm x 100mm x100mm cube of water weighs 1 KG and is one liter. (At max density 4C)

Indeed
Yes, that was very, very old-fashioned/obsolete when I was a kid

Well, we had dual scales on the thermometer (or was it triple, with Reaumur <sp?> too)

Everything was always metric.

Makethat 1 dm cubed.
I had one "uncle" (neighbor from way back) who still used degrees F in his thinking. But he was the only one, and that was in the late forties as I recall. His house is to be demolished now, next to the old KRO studios in Hlversum, to make way for an apartment building.
And there was this childrens story about birds dropping dead off the telegraph wires because it was over 100 in the shade (in Holland!!??)
--
Best regards
Han