Metric

Page 8 of 16
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 20:09:18 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Yes. Got a tape/ruler that does sixths, do ya?
What happens when the calc spits out 5.2917364? Got your decimal equivalents of the 32nds all memorized, do ya?
Imperial does powers of 2 really nicely, but metric does everything equally well.
-Kevin

Yes. <g>
Doug Miller wrote:

Business forms design?
--
Froz...

You got it.
Doug Miller wrote:

I got one of those too. ;-)
--
Froz...

:>Ok, What ia half of 5.3 mm?
: What's 18.5" divided by 3?
What's 18.5 mm divided by 3?
    -- Andy Barss, quizzical

It's 6.(5/3).
It's valid... just unusual. You'd probably trip up quite a few computer programs with it.
Puckdropper

Wouldn't 6.(5/3) x 3 = 23?
Leon wrote:

Note sure what the point was but I am pretty sure it was a typo, or a bad handle on how to represent mathematical equations.
Probably meant 6"+(0.5"/3) i.e. 6 1/6"
--
Froz...

On 9/10/2009 1:44 PM FrozenNorth spake thus:

I thought it was intentional, and rather clever at that; I read it as a made-up notation that meant "5/3rds of a tenth" (or 0.16666666 ...). Interesting mix of fractions and decimals.

Just trying to be too clever. It should be 6.(.5/3)
Puckdropper
Robatoy wrote:

1. Though a PITA, it is what we are used to.
2. Precision? The metric scales I have seen are marked in millimeters... 1/25.4 inch. It is not uncommon to have an imperial scale marked in 1/32 or even 1/64.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

<snip>
The Freemasons are the ones keeping the Metric system out of the US.
Larry C

I assume that's tongue in cheek, 'cause if it was intended as a serious statement, it's unadulterated horseshit.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I'm still trying to figure out what adulterated horseshit is. :-}

I'm still trying to figure out what adulterated horseshit is. :-}
manure from an unfaithful horse? Is the unadulterated stuff better?

Oddly, there's an old answer to this, from Russia.
"Govno c smetanoi" or somesuch, a common expression meaning crap with sour cream...
It predates the internet, but is SO well suited to describe elements of modern life...

It was a joke
Larry C wrote:

An unadulterated joke.
--

-MIKE-

I meant to say Stone Cutters - a Simpsons reference but I typed quicker than I thought. The Freemasons are the guys who have all that treasure hidden somewhere in the US.