Metric

Page 7 of 16

I'm pretty sure there are rules that mark .5mm, which is about .020', which is only .005" more tha 1/64. Your attempt to get someone to meet your absurd challenge of half of .3mm (.011) on a rule is as ridiculous as having a scale reading in 128ths. Who could use such a rule even if someone was stupid enough to make one. Besides, there are many other ways to measure other than with a rule. None of them have any use in woodworking. Give it a rest.
nb

Give it a rest? Give it a rest? The OP asked why we hang on to imperial. I replied with what is half of 5.3mm. YOU gave the answer but tried with out success to show me a ruler with that marking. ;~) If you give up fine, you can give it a rest. I was only asking 2 reasonable questions.

That's because NO ONE! makes a RULE in that small a graduation, in either Imperial or Metric. They don't make it cuz no one can use it!! There are other measuring instruments that can easily make that measurement in metric. What don't you understand?
nb

I see you now understand my point, the answer to why we still use fractions of an inch originated by the OP. I have a couple of Bridge City rules that are in 64 th graduations. Half way between those graduations is 128 ths of an inch. That measurement is much easier to mark than 2.65 mm. Thanks for helping me better understand why I perfer fractions of an inch over metric measurements. Apparently you need much more sufisticated measuring devices than a rule to measure sizes smaller than 1 mm. 1/64" is easily marked with a rule.

Leon, that is a good description of the need for finer graduations on your metric rulers. Has nothing to do with whether metric or US measurements are more convenient (except, what you're used to fits best, of course!).
--
Best regards
Han

Perhaps if the metric measurement were more widely used in th US we would see rules with finer graduations.

And just what do you use them for, Leon? Measuring freeze blocks and step stringers. I'm a machinist and seldom use them for measuring anything, certainly not 1/128".
You have no point. You just want to argue.
nb

I am sorry to have troubled you notbob. Clearly you shoud refrain from answering my questions as they seem to throw you into a tizzy.

In your dreams.
nb

I work with metric these days. Frankly, in 20 years I've never seen anything 5.3mm called out. Nor have I seen .20866 inches. (Quick, what is half of that?)
One of the beauties of the system is things tend to be more whole numbers rather than 21/64 and 17/32. There is no logical reason that we could not comfortably change and use metric other that we don't want to change. The rest of the world manages to build some rather complex and sophisticated machines with it and I bet we could too.

Yeah, but you're talking about changing life long habits and that's not so easy a thing to do. The only way to realistically do anything is to teach the young how to use metric and let the old folks consign themselves to history.
Not saying it can't be done, just that there may be more prudent things to learn in the time the good old folks have left to them. :)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly, being Canadian of sufficient age, I grew up based on the Imperial system, but the change happened when I was in high school, or was it junior high, sorry can't remember. Some things to this day are better in imperial, others make sense in metric.
But I still by 2x4s , and 4x8s as that is what they come in.
--
Froz...

Yeah but! ;~) Isn't Ikea stuff metric?

What do you expect? It's 99% sawdust. Metric has to figure in there somewhere.

LOL...
Leon wrote:

OMG Leon. Everybody knows that .5mm = 1RCH.
Or at least now everybody knows.
    yr hmbl numerologist,     jo4hn

Ah yes, the Pubic Scale.Then there are the Smidges, Tiches, Tads.

What's 18.5" divided by 3?
-Kevin
On 9/9/2009 7:28 PM Kevin spake thus:

Easy; 6-1/6".