Metric

Page 14 of 16

It all boils down to time Robatoy. It takes you longer to say metric stuff than inche stuff. Time is money.
In the time we can say 1/2 inch and measure it. You are still listening to the guy calling out, gimme Twelve m i l l - i - m e t e r s. Or drive one mile vs. drive one k i l l - o - m e t e r .
Too many dang syllables in that metric stuff.

LOL...not so!
I drive at 100 K on the highway or 50 K in town, 40 K at a school zone.. In normal conversation: " I drove a buck-twenty most of the way here." We never speak of millimeters..we speak of 'little stripes'.

LOL...not so!
I drive at 100 K on the highway or 50 K in town, 40 K at a school zone.. Still got you beat. I drive 65 or 40 in town or 20 in school zone. We never indicate MPH.
In normal conversation: " I drove a buck-twenty most of the way here." In normal conversation; " I drove 90 most of the way here.
We never speak of millimeters..we speak of 'little stripes'. Oh Gaud, the wemen's never indicate fractions of an inch they say 4 little thingies past the first big one.

Yup, they're aka 'tic'.

Sorry Leon, but I can say "three mils" faster than you can say "three sixteenths. :-)

Yabbut.. is a 'mil' a millimeter?
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 19:45:15 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Nah. It's a tenth of a percent on my property taxes.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
In article

It is when you don't mean a "thou" (0.001")
Sorry Leon, but I can say "three mils" faster than you can say "three sixteenths. :-)
You got me!

Actually he would say 12 mil and instead of "an inch and 15 thirty-seconds" "37 mil"
Your point was?

He would say drive "one kay"
Actually I don't know what they do say in France, Germany, Italy, Holland...... because I don't speak any foriegn languages (though I do have a broad understanding of American). It's what we would say in the UK except that we use miles :-)
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:32:40 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Well, I think it is pretty complicated stuff to move from Imperial to metric. Here's one small example.
I used to work for Oregon DOT (retired now). While I was with ODOT, there were 2 times where we and other DOT's were mandated by the Federal government to move from Imperial to metric with respect to our construction projects - which effectively meant for all our work.
All standards for measurements, materials, legal documents, etc, were to be changed to use the metric system.
The first time, the mandate was rescinded before we completed the change. This was part of the effort that was going to switch the entire US system to metric, but was abandoned before it really got going. Making that kind of switch would pay in the long run, but short term it is difficult.
The second time, the mandate was for DOT's and I imagine other related agencies. The mandate started out, um, mandatory but was made optional before we completed the change... ODOT went ahead and finished that work and became "metrified". We maintained our work in metric for several years. It took several years to make that transition, you can't believe the amount of things that have to be redone. I believe a few other state DOT's did the same, but most DOT's never completed the change to metric.
This was not popular with contractors. All work and materials they did for us had to also be in metric, , but for anything else they would use Imperial. I am sure that was awkward and increased overhead costs.
Eventually the contractors lobbied the legislature and, I assume, the Governor's office, to switch back to Imperial. Which we did.
As I understand it, all the DOT's that made the changeover to metric eventually switched back. Not because the DOT wanted to change; changing such standards is an exhaustive and expensive process. They changed because of outside (read: political) pressure.
Jim Weisgram wrote:

The easiest way would be to repeal the laws that forbid voluntary full metrication and trade in metric only products.
For example, the FPLA is a Federal law covers packaged goods that you see in the supermarket. It mandates non-metric units on the label. A two liter bottle with a label that says "2 L" is legal in all countries except the USA. There is a proposal to change the FPLA. Many manufacturers want the freedom to offer metric-only labels (as you can see with wine and liquor) and don't want to pay the costs of relabeling just for the US.
Many Americans are unaware that non-metric units are mandatory.

You bring up a good point. Let's face it, only Congress would know what is best for us. We should do as the say.
wrote in message

Ed, you are as confused as most Americans. Except the lobbyists. They know everything much better.
--
Best regards
Han
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Uh, Ed, I don't see how requiring "2L (2.1 QT)" instead of just "2L" or just "2.1 QT" is an example of "only Congress would know what is best for us".
.

Look up John, something just flew over your head.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Obviously it did--would you be kind enough to explain it?
wrote in message

How about this :) :) :) :) Get the idea?

Oh, I think the US has adopted the metric system more than we realize, given the success of the 9mm bullet. (Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer the .45.)
I read somewhere that Thomas Jefferson was initially responsible for rejection of the metric system. He wanted the meter to be the length of a pendulum with a period of one second at sea level.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Uh, 9mm is just .38 caliber misspelled.