Metric

Page 11 of 16

I guess our closer proximity to Europe and the regular import of cars made in France, Germany, Italy etc meant that tool kits including both metric and imperial spanners etc were common place long before official, legally enforced, metrication here. I recall the first socket set I bought, in around 1970, had both, although my car at the time was exclusively A/F fasteners. (possibly some BA in small size screws). I think my father had a couple of imperial-only tape measures but by the time I started buying dual scaling was the norm.
Robatoy wrote:

No. :-)

You could have saved us all a lot time by posting that right away, Steve.
Robatoy wrote:

You missed the easiest answer, that the people on the other side of the bridge are simply more comfortable with an old system - and a very large majority aren't enthusiastic about losing that comfort.
I suspect that if you were to take a poll, the result would be that we're comfortable with what we've got and can't see any good reason to throw that comfort away and struggle to cope with something else.
It has a lot less to do with France than it does with the fact that Aunt Emily's recipe for the family's favorite dessert may not come out quite right when ingredients are measured differently, or that any of a zillion other recipes, designs, plans, may stop working if the underlying measurement system changes. (OMG, what'll I do if they stop making 10" blades for my Unisaur? Yikes!)
Lady Liberty's design metrics and, to a lesser extent, her place of origin lost importance as she transitioned from being an object in New York to a treasured symbol for all people everywhere (something I hadn't much thought about until I saw her in Tiananmen Square in '89, and have thought about a lot since).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

A much nicer image to think about than the big one in Vegas.
My comment had more to do with that hatred hang-over from France's rejection to join an obviously unnecessary war. A lot of good things have come from France and it irks me that even that goodwill had to be tainted. France has always been a very complex country.
On 9/10/2009 11:11 AM Robatoy spake thus:

Never misunderestimate the idiocy and ignorance of American Yahoos and such; I'm sure there are plenty (and even some reading this) who still refuse to use the term "French fries" because of the perceived anti-U.S. bias of that nation.

We don't either but that's because chips (the proper name) were invented in Yorkshire ;-)
Robatoy wrote:

I haven't seen the one in Vegas. Only those in New York and Paris. The TV shot of the Chinese version took my by surprise - I would never have guessed she'd become important to anyone in China. Ignorant me, huh?

Sparkle sparkle little bait! (I haven't time to waste on hate.)

A lot of good things have, and I met a fair number of French on their home turf - and brought back only good memories and a desire to visit again.
Interestingly, the French with whom I've been working on solar technology haven't shown any lessening of goodwill or willingness to engage in cooperative problem-solving. I appreciate that.

Of course. It's occurred to me that there aren't any simple countries, only simplistic views of countries.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Use 254mm blades same as I do on my table saw :-)

or use the 250mm blade that is about the real size of your 10" blade after its first sharpening ;-) ;-)
Or the size it really is but is only marked 10" as a Linus Blanket thing
--
>replace spamblock with my family name to e-mail me
>Pics at http://www.meekings.net/diving/index.shtml
On Sep 29, 8:33am, snipped-for-privacy@spamblock.net (Jerome Meekings) wrote:

You mean like a 28" TV that measures 25.5"
In article

Rather depends on how you measure it. The stated size is always the diagonal of the tube or panel.
What you see is always less because they always put a "pretty" border round it of plastic casing.
Stuart wrote:

My 46" LCD measures exactly 46" diagonal of actual picture and 40" horizontal of picture. The pretty plastic border adds another inch on each side and the top and several inches on the bottom.
- Doug
On 9/10/2009 5:42 AM Robatoy spake thus:

In the interest of actually addressing the point of yourstarting post in this thread, let me say this [harrumph]:
While I may appear to have something of a laissez-faire attitude concerning metrification in the U.S.--in fact, I'm basically against it, for a number of reasons--to answer your question, I think there's only one logical explanation.
American Exceptionalism. Plain and simple.
As in so many other aspects of policy, it's the overweening hubris and the belief that we, the Merkin People, are specially endowed by our Creator with Speshul Magical Powerz that render us immune to the natural laws that bind other, lesser peoples.
(But I still oppose forced metrification here.)

Whattsamatter, you don't like Joe very much?
On 9/9/2009 7:02 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

I shop there every week. It's just a funny way of referring to them (plus an antidote to how their stores seems to be metastasizing all over the goddamn place).

"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Keeps shortening the trip to pick up "$2 Chuck".
Lew

Newtons. But no one uses Newtons (except certain PDA users). Mass is usually confused for weight. Just wait until we find life on other planets and go there, just wait!
We'll probably be using a different measuring system by then. :-)
Puckdropper
On 9/8/2009 6:27 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

I know there's a certain amount of chain-yanking going on here, and that I myself am contributing to it. Nonetheless, it seems to me that this distinction here between weight and mass is a bunch of irrelevant nitpicking by pointy-headed scientist types. To *most* human critters on the planet, they're the same thing, practically speaking. Sheesh.
Who cares how much a bucket of cement weighs on the planet Snorlax?