Metric

Page 2 of 16

I think the yard as we know it dates back to Henry I of England. And I *did* grow up with it. I'm kind of pissed about that. It is a stupid system, regardless of how I can relate to it.

It isn't bizarre... it's based on science. I should have grown up with it as opposed to having it as a sideline. The majority of manufacturing and packaging is done with metric... why is my country so stinking backwards it can't (or more accurately, won't) teach it (effectively) in schools?
Yes it's *my* country, but I really wonder about it sometimes.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Because time and time again the cost of migrating has been shown to outweigh the benefits?

It will happen over time when it becomes cost effective.
The mill I work for, produces hundreds of thousands of parts a day made from southern pine, the buyers dimensions and specs and final inspections are in millimeters and all the buyers reps use metric in any discussions.
It was far easier and cheaper to adopt metric measurements than constantly make conversions and add another place in the system for errors.
basilisk
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

On what "science" is it based? What research was conducted to show that the units selected for the Metric system were of greater utility than other units?

Interesting--on the one hand you say that the US is backward and doesn't teach it, but on the other, you say that it's used in the majority of manufacturing and packaging, so how _do_ the manufacturers and packagers figure it out?
In any case, I learned it in school and never really found a reason to use it in everyday life. It's just some silly system that some silly people made up.

They actually use their brains to THINK, a simple function of higher animals that seems to be rapidly falling out of favor.
nb

I dunno... they hire French engineers to do the hard work? The work that requires thought?

They do it out of desperation, hoping they can recover some small part of the business they've lost to foreign manufacturers who changed over 50 years ago.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"French engineers" is an oxymoron.

And you think that metric had something to do with that?

Yes.
And I also think that at this point, you are acting dense for effect.
Ed
On 9/9/2009 8:02 PM J. Clarke spake thus:

Really? Can you say "TGV"? "European extremely large telescope"?

...or the fact France supplies 78% of their electrical power through safe nuclear powerplants vs our shakey 18%. They were the first to isolate and identify the aids virus.
I've worked with French engineers and scientists. They have a lot of weird characteristics and some bizarre facets to their culture, but stupidity isn't in it. They're some sharp cookies when they put their minds to it.
nb
*snip*

Beware sharp cookies. Sometimes they bite back when you bite in to them! Just stick with the safe rounded ones like homemade chocolate chip! (Yum, Yum!)
Puckdropper
David Nebenzahl wrote:

JEEZUS, would you people get a humor transplant or something?

Fully aerodynamic body. Front-wheel drive, Oil over air fully adjustable suspension. Crumple zones, collapsable steering wheel, constant velocity transmission, steerable headlights, elevated rear- end-collision-avoidance brake- and turning signal lights etc., etc. (Btw... all in one 1950-ish Citroen.)
Brigit Bardot.
A few decent wines and cheeses.
Not everyrhing coming from France is all bad...
In article

A few wines are OK yes but German and even Californian are better :-)
You can't beat a good blue Stilton though, from Melton Mobray in Leicestershire. The White Stilton is pretty good too, especially the white Stilton with Ginger.
Anyway, who needs wine when we have good english Ale [1] and cider.
[1] I mean the properly brewed stuff not that which comes out of the big chemical factories

Hmm? TGV, Exocet, Pont de Millau, efficient and inexpensive nuclear power, Rafale, etc., for very recent examples.
You can go back to French leadership aeronautical & automotive engineering in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. Don't forget the Eiffel tower.
If you want to go even further back, just go to Reims, Chartres, Rouen, Ile de la Cit in Paris, Sens, Beauvais, etc.
Not quite an oxymoron.

IKIANB the Pont de Millau was designed by Norman Foster, an Englishman. But I suppose building it was a lot harder than designing it.
In article

Unfortunatly we bought some TV transmitters from LGT (Laboratoire General les Telecommunications) now Thomcast.
I have never seen anything so badly made and thrown together and this was supposed to be professional broadcast equipment.
On 09/09/2009 09:42 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

I suspect none. However, it was invented by scientists who tried to come up with logical and practical standard units.
On the other hand, having used both it is much easier to carry out unit conversions with the metric system. Certain physical constants work out nicely in metric:
-a liter of water masses almost exactly 1kg -the force due to gravity on earth of 1kg is very close to 10 newtons -a 1 meter pendulum has a period of very close to 2 seconds -standard atospheric pressure is very close to 100 kPa -speed of light in vacuum is very close to 3x10^8 m/s
I do find it interesting that since 1893 the inch and pound are actually defined in terms of metric values. Thus, an inch is defined as 25.4mm, while the pound is defined as 0.45359237 kilogram.
Chris

Thank you Chris. For the first time in my life I have an intuitive feel for what a friggin Newton is: it's 100 grams or the amount of dry pasta needed for a regular plate or the amount of prosciutto I would buy for lunch.
Yes I know the difference between mass and weight. But for most practical purposes on the face of the earth, the difference doesn't matter. And I knew that a Newton was one kilogram-metre per second squared. & I could do some calculations with it, but I didn't know what it was!
Thanks!
Luigi
Luigi
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

That's only because you don't have one of my gee-whiz passive solar heating panels yet. :)

Now the challenge is to find a (bathroom/postal/deli/freight) scale calibrated in Newtons. ;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar