Metric

Page 1 of 16
I now make parts for different people who e-mail/fax me drawings so I can quote on them. Some parts are such that I can't tell what they are or what they're the purpose of them are. Sometimes I see dimensions as obviously imperial ones, sometime it is hard to tell, especially when I have NO clue what these parts are. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what system is used as I work in both metric and imperial. But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an archaic system?
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9974/metricmap.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QTj45cTB4U

basilisk

Hilarious!!!
--
Best regards
Han
Robatoy wrote: ...

Comfort...it's what people grew up with so it's what's natural.

Interfacing easily with almost all other nations on earth would also bring comfort, no?
Robatoy wrote:

feet and inches are often far easier to remember than metric measurements as the numbers get larger , you also have the problem that different trades in different countries use different protocols , some use metres some centimetres others millimetres but they dont always identify which , leads to fun and games sometimes .
The other issue is that in the us as well as the uk most homes were built to imperial standard dimensions so you use 8 by 4 sheets of ply or plasterboard , in europe most plasterboard sheet material is now metric 1200 by 2400 , 1800 by 900 which creates problems in refit works specs etc
6 feet /72 inches is often easier to remember than 1828mm

In the same situation, I believe that all the metric measurements being "53??????meter." could easily be confused with "53?????meters. Basically the units of measure sound too much the same.
Yards, feet, and Inches sound way different than meters, decimeters, centimeters, and millimeters

I wonder if that is a valid assumption. Seldom do you pull out a 4x8 of any thing and replace it as a unit. More often it is patched and cut to fit.

But what makes 6' or 72 inches easier to remember than 1800 mm?

But in the writen word there is no confusion and in the spoken "mil" is quite different from "metre".
(Decimetres are never used and centimetres shouldn't be either as they are non SI units)

All valid points. Thanks for those.

Guessing that we see 2.5 meter lengths in the place of 2x4x8's in the not too distant future.

Make that 243.84 cm, please.
<grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
Robatoy wrote:

On a personal level, no...
OTOH, enterprises engaged in large-scale and/or routine trade _do_ use mks routinely. I'm guessing you're dealing essentially w/ individuals not sizable corporate engineering groups.
I'm a NE by training and 40+ years experience so know mks for engineering work intimately. Yet, for routine day-to-day living I'm far more comfortable w/ English units simply because they're still what have that innate feeling over.
It's no different than your familiarity w/ daily temp's in C and sheet goods in mm--that was what you grew up with; it's what you unconsciously think in. OTOH, while you "know" what an inch is, it takes actual effort to relate that. We're precisely the other way 'round (and I suspect will continue to be for the foreseeable future as there isn't the mechanism in the States to coerce the changeover).

dpb wrote:

I think Obama needs to know about this. We need some more "change" we can believe in. We need a Metric Czar.

Been there Done that. Jimmy C tried that and that is why we deal with a mixed up mess today expecially in the auto industry. 30 years later and American cars still have a mix of metric and imperial parts.

Well, now you got another Jimmy C...*WEG*
dpb wrote:

The hold-out is that the US is still at least somewhat responsive to the will of the people and the public doesn't _want_ some bizarre French system crammed down its throat.
: dpb wrote: :> Robatoy wrote: :> ... :>> But what seems to be the reason for the US hold-out to stay with an :>> archaic system? :> :> Comfort...it's what people grew up with so it's what's natural.
: The hold-out is that the US is still at least somewhat responsive to the : will of the people and the public doesn't _want_ some bizarre French system : crammed down its throat.
No country has ever voluntarily adopted the metric system.
    -- Andy Barss
On 9/8/2009 6:32 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

Amen.

Yeah, the US would much rather hold out for some stupidly bizarre measurement that had to do with the distance from the nose to the thumb of some long dead English king.
Bizarre French system? Talk about your basic unadulterated horseshit... downright bizarre, if you ask me.
LOL... sometimes I think the stuff here is akin to really poorly done comedy.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

It's only stupidly bizarre to those who didn't grow up with it. And it goes back to Rome or earlier, not to "some long dead English king".

It's not bizarre only if you grew up with it.

Perhaps I shoud have used a smiley?