Methods for acheiving RCH accuracy in joinery?

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 20:40:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita

If you've heard the station, it fits... <G>
<<Is this it?
<http://www.wrch.com/

Hey, those are my friends!
Lee

_________________________________
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:03:10 -0500, "Lee Gordon"

They play baaaaaad music! <G>
I'm sure some of the voice overs are excellent, though...

Actually, RCH reminds me of the first WKRP episode where WKRP plays "You're having OUR baby", by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and Johnny drags the needle across the turntable. The problem is, Johnny isn't there to save the day! <G>

Booger!
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Ideally, the skill of the worker includes his/her choice of tooling, fixturing, and processing - essentially the "system of manufacturing".

Very true.

He probably is. This is not necessarily a problem. In 2003 I held an accuracy contest here in the wreck. The idea was prompted by a guy who claimed that he could work wood in the ten-thousandths of an inch range on his "super tuned" contractor's saw (throughly de-bunked). Here's the thread with the results:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/673190988bf5c353/927a6e7e35004e30?#927a6e7e35004e30
Sorry, the official results on my web site have long since been deleted. The winner (Owen Lowe) cut acrylic samples to within 0.005" using the stock miter gauge on a Unisaw (sold to home shop woodworkers everywhere in the US). He aligned his saw using a "feel the rub" technique. The best wood samples came in at 0.011" (hard maple). Probably could have done better with lignum vitae. Not a chance with pine, oak, or walnut. The thread includes my take on why it's hard to do much better with wood. My benchmark on a Unisaw cutting aluminum using the stock miter gauge was about 0.001".

The Unisaw doesn't weigh thousands of pounds.

My Unisaw is on wheels. I can do work to about 20 millionths in steel on my surface grinder. It's not bolted to the floor either. But it does weigh about 2500 lbs.

Absolutely. Experience is required to achieve such results or even comment on their feasibility.

He probably hasn't. Sounds like he's doing emperical work.

Hmmmm....
Just call me "Nobody"!
Please feel free to stop by my shop anytime and I'll show you reliable and repeatable linear measurements to within millionths of an inch and angular measurements to less than an arc second. Yes, that's six digits. No, it has nothing to do with wood. But, depending on the species, and the direction of measurement (along the grain, not across the grain) it's possible to work wood to less than 0.005" - all day long, any day of the week. Measuring it is no problem. I wouldn't be willing to claim anything better.
You did say "nobody" can measure "anything" beyond 3 digit accuracy. ;-) I think it's safe to say that we don't need to consider Hisenberg uncertainty or the observer effect for this sort of work.

I would liken hand sanding to hand scraping bed ways. Considerable skill is required but I don't doubt the feasibility. I wouldn't try it but there are guys who can scrape machine bed ways to within ten- thousandths of an inch with a hand held scraper.

I assume you mean rec.crafts.metalworking. I think a fairly decent manual mill can be had for the cost of a 3hp unisaw. I would like to learn more about Bill's application and needs. Perhaps there are better ways for him to solve the problem.
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
Submit your work to the Gallery: http://www.ts-aligner.com/gallery.htm
Ed:
You're taking this thing WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.
I know you think in machinist terms - I vividly recall the "interaction" between you and Strickland - but lighten up a little and you'll get at least a smile out of where this thread has gone - probably the intent of the original poster.
When was the last time you saw the word "pudenda" in a woodworking - or even a machinist - forum?
charlie b
ps - I really like my TS-Aligner Jr. Deluxe. Great set up tool - at a reasonable price and very high quality. It, along with a good 3' straight edge, a set of feeler gauges, a mallet and some special jigs made it POSSIBLE to tune my Robland X-31. Wasn't easy by any means, but possible - with your TS-Aligner's help. Thanks - again.

Hi Charlie,
Sorry if it seems like I'm out of step with where the thread has gone, but you have to understand that none of that had happened when I replied. I was commenting on what "Phil-In-Mich" said (a somewhat misguided treatise on Edward Demming and the "futility" of accuracy in woodworking). At the time, his was the only response to Bill's post. I have no problem with how the thread has evolved. I almost suggested that Tim do a Google search on "RCH" but that would have spoiled the fun.
Thanks for the good words. Glad to hear from yet another happy customer!
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com
Submit your work to the Gallery: http://www.ts-aligner.com/gallery.htm

<schnip>
So who's the mother? Is she the one the RCH came from?
B.