Method for trimming out 4x4 ????????

I have a small porch that has the roof supported by 4x4 pressure treated lumber. I want to surround them with mahogany. What would be the best method, mitering the edges and biscuits to form the four sides or just butting the edges together. all suggestions appreciated, Mike

It all depends on the look you want. There is no "best" in this type of thing.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

A common method is butt joints with two sides being a wee bit longer. It gives a little shadow detail and helps out when the wood starts moving around. I would stick with nails and no glue, since the syp post will also "move around"..
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

Thanks guys, mikeOn Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:48:47 GMT, Pat Barber

Egg Zactly! The all beveled corners thing sounds great on paper, but it is really tough to pull of well in practice. This method is *much* more forgiving.
-Steve

Just my opinion, if the PT 4X4s are typical they will have some bow, twist,etc, that will make it difficult to fit mitered edge boards over them. I'd use butt joints.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.net wrote:

I you <do> decide to go for the mitered edge, cut them oversize enough to not try to put them on the post directly but let them float. Plus, use a glue joint miter bit in either your shaper a (large) table router with a guide fence. Then, assemble two pieces into two right angle pieces and put them together in place.