method for finding TDC on jointer

if you can determine what angle the knives set in the cutterhead, machine a block to that angle and use some metal stock the thickness of the knives, wouldn't that be an easy way to find top dead center on a jointer?
After reading your post I envisioned a wooden block set on the outfeed table with a long light wooden (6-8") arm pivoted from it so the arm extends over the infeed table. As the cutter head is rotated backwards(toward the outfeed table) it will lift and drop the arm... a ruler or graduated scale held perpendicular to the infeed table and behind the arm will give a point of reference and make it easy to discern minute differences in elevation. Tom

Get a cheapie dial indicator and base, good place to look is Harbor Frieght.
STEMO
a dial indicator will find TDC easy enough but I was thinking this would be a way to hold the cutterhead in position while you wedge it in place....then break out the dial indicator
mel notes:

Piece of glass, tempered preferably. You can see the knives as they touch.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html