metal slides, wood case: will it crack?

I've got 24" metal drawer slides attached to a case made of solid quarter sawn cherry. Of course, the slides go across the grain. I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about the case cracking due to wood movement. The drawer slides (Accuride) have little slots about 1/4" long, but my wood movement calculations suggest that I ought to plan for 3/4" of wood movement.
Is this OK? Anybody ever seen a case that was cracked by drawer slides?

Oh good lord no, 3/4" movement would be if you submerged it in water and left it there. I seriously doubt you would ever see more than 1/8" movement over 24" under normal circumstances. Put the screws in the slotted holes.
If you still have doubts, elongate the slotted holes.

I have never had that problem having installed hundreds of slides.

You might want to check the the decimal point. <Grin> Just put the screws in the middle of the slots and it'll all work out fine.
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs
On 11/24/2009 09:47 AM, snipped-for-privacy@cam.cornell.edu wrote:

According to the shrinkulator (http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm ), assuming a range of 25% to 60% relative humidity, this will result in moisture content range of 5.4 to 11. Quartersawn means that you want to look at the radial change, which is 0.18" over 24".
I think you're probably fine.
Chris

The shrinkulator is handy. I was doing calculations based on equations from Hoadley's book. How did I get 3/4"? Well, two things. I was originally calculating for flat sawn maple and I think I forgot to switch the numbers for quarter sawn. And I assumed a broader moisture range, like 75% - 10%.
I guess I won't worry about it. Now if I can just get the drawer slides adjusted so that the drawers are lined up....