metal slides, wood case: will it crack?

I've got 24" metal drawer slides attached to a case made of solid quarter sawn cherry. Of course, the slides go across the grain. I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about the case cracking due to wood movement. The drawer slides (Accuride) have little slots about

1/4" long, but my wood movement calculations suggest that I ought to plan for 3/4" of wood movement.

Is this OK? Anybody ever seen a case that was cracked by drawer slides?

Reply to
adrian

Oh good lord no, 3/4" movement would be if you submerged it in water and left it there. I seriously doubt you would ever see more than 1/8" movement over 24" under normal circumstances. Put the screws in the slotted holes.

If you still have doubts, elongate the slotted holes.

I have never had that problem having installed hundreds of slides.

Reply to
Leon

You might want to check the the decimal point. Just put the screws in the middle of the slots and it'll all work out fine.

Reply to
Nonny

According to the shrinkulator

assuming a range of 25% to 60% relative humidity, this will result in moisture content range of

5.4 to 11. Quartersawn means that you want to look at the radial change, which is 0.18" over 24".

I think you're probably fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

The shrinkulator is handy. I was doing calculations based on equations from Hoadley's book. How did I get 3/4"? Well, two things. I was originally calculating for flat sawn maple and I think I forgot to switch the numbers for quarter sawn. And I assumed a broader moisture range, like 75% - 10%.

I guess I won't worry about it. Now if I can just get the drawer slides adjusted so that the drawers are lined up....

Reply to
adrian