metal pushstick from rockler, is it safe?

I bought one of those metal magnetic pushsticks from rockler for my tablesaw. Only when I went to use it for the first time did I begin to imagine the possible mayhem that could ensue if the stick happened to touch the blade for some reason. I then went back to using my crude wooden scrap stick. What are your opinions of metal pushsticks? Are they safe?
--
J. Durango

"The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today (is) my own
It is 1/8" thick ALUMINUM. Aluminum does not hurt carbide blades. In fact, carbide blades cut aluminum up to 1/2" with no trouble. They may well cut thicker but I have only cut up to 1/2 aluminum plate so I cannot speak to thicker stock. I see no harm with using an aluminum push stick. Usually the push stick does not touch the blade anyway and accidental contact will not hurt anything.
--
David Chamberlain

snipped-for-privacy@nospamhotmail.com

We use them here at the school and seem to work fine without any trouble or problems. Even have had a student cut into one. I like the design, the sharp point and the control that it gives me. The magnet is a nice touch.
Mike from American Sycamore
David B. Chamberlain wrote:

This doesn't sound safe to me. Ever been bit by a push stick? Ever cut aluminum with your carbide blade and get assaulted by all those little bits of hot flying aluminum? I'll stick to my soft-easily-cutable-into-sawdust pine scraps thank you.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I only use a push stick when required. This means smaller pieces of wood. I just don't see the need for a push stick when ripping a 3"x12" board. When ripping 1/4" pieces for facing (or whatever), a push stick is mandatory. Try not touching the pushstick to the blade when ripping this thin.
Out of curiosity, what are they gouging for an aluminum stick these days?
Mark from Pasdaena, MD
The first time I saw them I laughed... IIRC they are aluminum, but can you see stick getting caught in the gullet of the saw blade and the stick being pushed back into the palm of your hand? I am thinking a wooden push stick if made with as thin of material would have the same effect but most wooden push sticks are thicker and have no sharp corners.

touch
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:48:15 GMT, Jonny Durango wrote:

I think it's the practicality that's in question. I consider my push sticks to be a renewable resource -- I run through them without worry and just make more of I have to. No big deal, unless they are more expensive aluminum. Not that wouldn't work well for you, mate, but it just doesn't fit my work habit.
david
--
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have
of it.
J. Durango

"The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today (is) my own
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Mon, Jul 21, 2003, 12:27am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (JonnyDurango) says: <snip> I won't discard it as just anothdr piece of scrap (this has happened to some of my most trusty "junk sticks") <snip>
Write "push stick" on both sides with a marker.
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 19 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
George wrote:

Sounds like you're married to my wife's long-lost sister... :)
glue a magnet to it????????? "Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way......"
Rick wrote:

Stow it in the left end of your Biesemeyer rail.

Check out http://www.wondermagnet.com for strong magnets. Good prices and a lot of different types.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Awesome, does that mean if I used that magnetic push-stick, it would always veer hard toward the blade when I use it ?
So I installed it on Linux...