Metal Lathe

Page 2 of 2
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thank you. That doesn't make them sound too valuable. They are all currently residing in a fancy antique tool chest which could quite likely get in my way of getting the bits. It has lots of drawers, some side-by-side, and a slide out cover which buckles down,and a mirror. It's exactly like this one I located on Google if you can follow this long link:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.flamboroughauctions.net/upload/item/246/tool%2520chest.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.flamboroughauctions.net/auction/auctionHome.do%3Fid%3D28&usg=__N57k_3WcoqqZjwPDV8lZcz3vIOw=&h60&wd0&sz 9&hl=en&startC&zoom=1&tbnid=gAW-Wq47CHmZHM:&tbnh˜&tbnw4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dantique%2Btool%2Bchest%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26biw%3D1258%26bih%3D594%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur43&ei=eXiqTLyRGMaknQfXmoTdBg&oei=TXiqTJnDPMaknQfB0O2_Bg&esq=3&page=3&ndsp&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:43&txg&tyV
However, the one in the picture appears to be in better condition. I was only after the bits and metal stock anyway! Maybe my wife would love to see the toolbox in the living room? :) No, seriously!
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
Here's a much better view of that "tool box" I was describing. Evidently, it's holding just what is was designed for...
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Machinist-s-14-Drawer-Oak-Chest/H8266
Auction tomorrow...
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
Bill wrote:

Check to see if it's a Gerstner tool chest.
See:
http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CARTgallery1.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

It was an imitation Gerstner. I found a similar one at Amazon.com for $139. The auctioneer even said it "looked like" a Gerstner. With it's content: several calipers, cutting bits, blanks, and other small miscellaneous stuff, it went for $140 + 10% (buyer's premium) + 7% sales tax. I was prepared to bid but turned away when the bidding got to $100. I don't even own a lathe--but I figured there was enough there to get me off to a good start! : )
Each item I encounter like this leaves me a little wiser. For instance, last week I would not been able to tell the difference between a machinist's toolbox and a loaf of bread...and that's just a run of the mill bit.... %)
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
I suspect the 50 year old metal lathe may run extremely well, even today. Yes, if it is broken it would be harder to get parts. Yes, if it is broken it may not be the right machine. But I think you should consider it if possible. Also, owwm.org has added a metal working posting page. Ask a few of those folks about the one you saw. See what they think.
Mike in Ohio hilliardman on owwm <snip>>

Add pictures here
✖
Michael Kenefick wrote:

I will look. Thanks! -Bill
Add pictures here
✖

Check Craigslist. Somebody in the Indpls area has listed a South Bend lathe under the rather opaque title, "10." There are several smaller metal lathes listed as well.
Add pictures here
✖