Metal furnace ducting for mainline???????????????

Hi group: What success have you people had using the normal household furnace ducting for a mainline. I know I would have to duct-tape the joint on the whole length??????????????

Jow

--> Remove par from email address for replying

Reply to
golf

Part of my system uses 30ga ducting. Works fine!

Reply to
Dave W

I have heard of some saying their system can collapse the thin stuff if all their gates are closed but I have my doubts unless their system is extremely tight and have some damaged duct (badly flattened). If you think you are approaching this situation just bleed a bit of air - yeah, I know that isn't the idea but life isn't perfect at least on the cheap. Billh

Reply to
billh

Good success in my situation, which is a part time shop using a DC1100C with

Reply to
cr480

You can also use 4" schedule 40 PVC.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. deb

I use metal, too. The only problem I see with the PVC is that you still have to ground it, whereas the metal acts as a ground.

"Just one OLD man's opinion."

The Other Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

The problem with "just bleed a little air" is that you don't know you need to until it's too late.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
George

==================== Bruce, The metal ducting is conductive, but is not grounded unless it is in contact with a grounded tool, or has a grounding wire run to an established ground lug/connection.

Ken Moon Webberville, TX

Reply to
Ken Moon

Jow,

I installed some in my shop about 5 years ago and it seems to work fine, also it's pretty cheap. However, I put one length of a heavier duct called spiral duct that has a length of steel curled around the outside. It is much more substantial and if the cost isn't critical I would definitely recommend this instead.

Good luck,

Glen Duff

golf wrote:

Reply to