metal detector

My wizard III stopped working. I tried replacing the battery, tried adjusting, but it is not consistently able to pick up my tablesaw let alone a piece of metal in wood.
I always thought it was a little too finicky.
Anyone have a very good metal detector other than the wizard??
--
Jeff

On 2/3/2014 11:25 AM, woodchucker wrote:

The one used by many none-woodworker types:
They offer several different models:
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_division_promotions_us.aspx

I think that there was a recent " recall " .. on a certain Wizard model .. John T.
--- ---
On 2/3/2014 5:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

mine is quite a few years old. I didn't see the recall on their website.
--
Jeff

On 2/3/2014 1:25 PM, woodchucker wrote:

This may be a little too low tech but 4~5 short stacks of rare earth magnets glued to a stick should be attracted to something ferrous in the wood.
A stack of about 8 rare earth magnets "IS" my stud finder that works effortlessly every time.

Excellent idea. I've used magnetic stud finders before but they haven't been great (not enough oomph). The ultrasound finders I have aren't real accurate. I kinda have to fumble around finding both (fuzzy edges) and split the difference. A 2x shows up as four or five inches wide. Not so good.

And the beauty to the rare earth magnets is that they stick to the wall. This is good when you walk away to pick up the pencil you just dropped before marking the spot. ;~)
If you lightly hold the magnets above the surface you will feel them almost jump out of your hand when you get near a nail or screw.
Wrap a little bit of masking tape over the end so that the magnets do not mark the wall.

Great tips. Thanks! Now, to find my magnet stash. ;-)

Also beware when putting them together they can raise a nasty blood blister in a pinch.
Mark
On 2/4/2014 9:30 PM, Markem wrote:

Yeah, you don't want them flying together, that is for sure.

Someone on the Internet suggested that it's a bad idea to put one in either pants pocket... Especially the big ones.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/4/2014 8:00 PM, Leon wrote:

I use a single rare earth magnet on a chain to find studs. It finds it just by letting it hang and moving it around.
--
Jeff

On 2/3/2014 2:25 PM, woodchucker wrote:

well I pried the case open.
after looking for a while, and then starting to test, I found a cold solder joint, and a wire with black rot..
Soldered in a new one... and all is now ok. Reassembled with CA.
--
Jeff

On 2/4/2014 1:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Well send it to me and I'll send you some of my magnets. ;~)