Metal clad workshop or woodframe dilema resolved

A general contractor will schedule for wood frame building, plumbing which is half bath and drain board with double sink adjacent to bath enclosure for mixing finishes and cleaning up, septic, drywall, insulation, 18' roll up door and person door, 3 windows in 6-8 weeks. Cost is about 3 times price for incomplete metal clad building with slab and insulation, roll up door and person door. NOT included in metal clad is electrical, plumbing, septic and inside walls. Ceiling is contour of the metal sloping up to top. Wood frame includes attic for storage with pull down steps with typical flat ceiling 9' high.

I called about 8 electrical contractors for adding a few circuits in the garage and one committed for an appointment that wasn't kept with no phone call to notify us. Person answering the phone when we called a couple of days later had no idea that it was a no show. She did call back saying "You had better find someone else as we are very busy". Haven't tried plumber but halfway expect similar response. Have a couple of leads for septic but without experience or guidance wouldn't be sure when to schedule it.

We end up with turnkey operation as all I have to do is transfer tools from garage to shop and get another cordless phone and refrigerator and whatever fluorescent's I want to hang. Will gladly trade insecurities of metal clad contractor scheduling and unfamiliarity of metal walls instead of typical wood frame for complete task by someone that does this all year long.

Reply to
nospambob

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote: ...saga on building a new shop via a gc but still doing some subcontracting himself (as near as I can tell???)...

If he's a gc, why not contract him to do the whole thing turnkey and let him deal w/ the subcontractors? As a gc, if they're any good at all they should have sub's they've worked w/ previously that will work with them again. If not, maybe that's telling you something you should know...

Reply to
dpb