Messy shop

I actually sweep daily so as to not track inside the house but when the project is done the leaf blower comes out to get into the areas that the dust collects.

Reply to
Leon

Yep, I've done that before. On a good windy day, I've opened front and back windows and doors and blew the heck out of the place.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Another alternative is to use a couple of rolling wire shelving units, such as:

're easy to roll around loaded, they provide storage where you need it when you're working outside, and it's easy to rig a tarp cover with some bungee cords and a cross piece or two. If it's something that you'll do frequently, use some stainless screw hooks screwed into the garage door head jamb. If you want to work outside in blowy or rainy weather, add a couple of tarps to the outer sides of the shelving units. Set up becomes a ten minute job and it'll cut way down on the trips back and forth into the garage to get a tool or whatever.

RicodJour

One thing I really like about this group is that there's never a shortage of interesting - and often creative - ideas - thanks, R!

Reply to
Matt

------------------------------------ This is wht I had in mind.

Lew Hodgett

Thanks for the link, Lew - bookmarked for future reference. Might even be time to get out a tape measure and get some dimensions!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

------------------------------------

Last time I put up a 10' x 10' silver tarp, it was less than $50 for everything.

Have fun

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

MUCH less dust with planes and scrapers. Sure, you have to sharpen them daily, but it takes less time to swipe an edge under a buffing wheel than to sweep an entire 20 x 50 shop. I still sand, but 220 is my starting grit.

Reply to
Father Haskell

what else that is nice about the "gorilla" type wire shelving is that zig zag front of the shelves lend themselves to pegboard hooks and such quite nicely. Put a large hook to hang an ext cord or anything else you'd like

Reply to
ChairMan

I forget who came up with this idea on the wreck, but the guy said "every single time you walk in the shop, put away exactly 3 things before you leave", and in a very short time it's all straight again. I have tried it for a few years now, and it really works....

Remember...just 3 th> It's almost Spring out here in the West Coast.

Reply to
Pat Barber

But what if I take out 4 every time? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

What if it is so cold you can not touch any thing metal?

Reply to
k-nuttle

I experience the same thing. When the shop is a mess I find it hard to get motivated to do any work. Now that I've put the bins of Christmas decorations back in the attic and otherwise straightened up it the bench is calling to me. Got to get going on those new CD library shelf units, SWMBO has given the okay to go right to the ceiling with the new ones so we don't run out of room in no time.

Reply to
DGDevin

Put some gloves on?

Reply to
Stuart

Veritas Unheated Shop Cleanup Gloves--$49.95 right-handed, $59.95 left-handed.

Reply to
DGDevin

Gloves?

Reply to
J. Clarke

k-nuttle wrote in news:il8rcl$h4k$1 @news.eternal-september.org:

Most of my tools with metal on them also have non-metallic parts I can use to hold and handle them. Guess I just gotta leave the clamps out. (They usually get put back with a reasonable amount of frequency, though, as they tend to get in the way.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper