Messy shop

Page 1 of 2
It's almost Spring out here in the West Coast.
If I get a couple of days of clear weather (very possible) this week, I'm planning to do a top-to-bottom "Augean Stables", "GI cleaning" type of clean-out of the shop. Over the winter, I just dropped stuff where I could and now I have to move it all around to get to things.
Any of you planning the same thing?
Somehow a more organized and clean shop makes me want to be in there.
MJ

How far are you planning to take the cleaning? Before:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/noel157//Cooker-and-Workshop-004.jpgRcd.jpg
Midpoint
http://www.pruner.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/woodworking-shop.jpg
(Note the only tool that's obviously been used is the broom.)
And after winning the Festool lottery: http://www.idealtools.com.au/the_ideal_tools_festool_workshop The last picture in that link is the most important tool. Coffee is brain food.

what a Millennium party!

I've done it, but am not planning on doing it again. I need to get in there and clean up the various sawdusty areas and figure out some storage to keep tools off my bench (when not being used). It is a lot of work, but it's worth it.
I played with Sketchup for several days figuring out a layout and it's working quite well.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned sawdust. I generally keep my tools picked up but rarely clean up saw dust until I finish whatever I am working on, might be months. Once finished, all the sawdust gets swept up until the next project when it starts accumulating again
My question is this: a new project creates new sawdust but it seems to reach a status quo; i.e. reaches a certain quantity and doesn't seem to increase. Why? (Note: I have never actually measured it)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

You forgot to sweep off your eyeballs.
With the attached garage (onto the shop) almost completed, I moved my jointer, a work table and the anvil from the mai area in there. I assembled my new planer in the gaage area last fall. I don't have all the electricity run, yet, so the dust collection is not installed. It gets dusty/dirty in there, fast. I did this moving a month, or so, ago and the main part of the shop is more clear, now. I cleaned up when I moved stuff out, but I still have rearranging to do, more storage space for hand tools and other odds & ends and a major project to finish. Cleaning, alone, is a significant job, for me. Lately, I've been alternating between upholstery, woodworking and try to do some new landscaping. For convenience, lately, some of my landscaping tools are stored in the shop garage for use the next day. SOmeday, I'll get it all straightened out.
Sonny
dadiOH wrote:

They say that a watched pot never boils... If you sweep up everyday it provides better footing and adds to the feeling of accomplishment! ; )
Bill

Leafblower's faster.
RE: Subject
Living in a temperate climate offers many advantages.
Put all you mjor power tools on wheels (T/S, Jointer, Planer, Router Table, etc)
Push tools out on driveway to use.
A push broom, a flat bottom coal shovel and a 30 gal garbage can serves as the dust collection system.
Return tools at end of day.
Was able to work outside in SoCal except parts of the rainy months of Dec, Jan Feb.
Would even work back in Ohio if 30F-40F doesn't bother you.
Lew
On 3/5/2011 5:46 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

model railroad, which doesn't do well with dust.
I just completed a ramp from the kitchen patio door out to the patio to be able to do the same thing - and all of my major tools are on wheels just for that purpose. Since I'm in Phoenix, I won't be able to do a lot of work during the summer months unless I get up really early, but at least I'll be able to work more often than I have lately with this new setup.
Matt
"Matt" wrote:

Railroad "HO" by chance?
Is the patio covered or bare cement?
Lew
On 3/5/2011 8:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

the trackwork has been done for a couple of years now, and I have monthly operating sessions on it - had a good one just last night. The rest of the space is primarily used to store all of my woodworking tools.
Patio is bare cement, walls on two sides, patio door from the kitchen at one end, the other end open to the back yard. Outdoor electrical outlet nearby. Keep thinking about some sort of covering for the patio area but haven't built anything yet.
Matt

"Matt" wrote:

Nice size layout. ----------------------------------

Some 1" EMT, a silver tarp, and the 1" EMT fittings to form the frame to support the tarp and you're in business.
Very common around here to provide some shade over bare cement, quickly and at low cost..
Gotta be somebody locally selling the stuff.
Lew
On 3/5/2011 10:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

sort of wood framework tied into the roof lines on the side walls, but this could be cheaper and faster.
Matt

Another alternative is to use a couple of rolling wire shelving units, such as: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
They're easy to roll around loaded, they provide storage where you need it when you're working outside, and it's easy to rig a tarp cover with some bungee cords and a cross piece or two. If it's something that you'll do frequently, use some stainless screw hooks screwed into the garage door head jamb. If you want to work outside in blowy or rainy weather, add a couple of tarps to the outer sides of the shelving units. Set up becomes a ten minute job and it'll cut way down on the trips back and forth into the garage to get a tool or whatever.
On 3/6/2011 10:43 AM, RicodJour wrote:

shortage of interesting - and often creative - ideas - thanks, R!
In wrote:

what else that is nice about the "gorilla" type wire shelving is that zig zag front of the shelves lend themselves to pegboard hooks and such quite nicely. Put a large hook to hang an ext cord or anything else you'd like
"Matt" wrote:

This is wht I had in mind.
http://www.creativeshelters.com /
Lew
On 3/6/2011 12:12 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

be time to get out a tape measure and get some dimensions!
Matt

"Matt" wrote:

Last time I put up a 10' x 10' silver tarp, it was less than $50 for everything.
Have fun
Lew