Messy shop

It's almost Spring out here in the West Coast.

If I get a couple of days of clear weather (very possible) this week, I'm planning to do a top-to-bottom "Augean Stables", "GI cleaning" type of clean-out of the shop. Over the winter, I just dropped stuff where I could and now I have to move it all around to get to things.

Any of you planning the same thing?

Somehow a more organized and clean shop makes me want to be in there.

MJ

Reply to
mjmwallace

How far are you planning to take the cleaning? Before:

the only tool that's obviously been used is the broom.)

And after winning the Festool lottery:

last picture in that link is the most important tool. Coffee is brain food.

RicodJour

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news:500d4bd5- snipped-for-privacy@o14g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

I've done it, but am not planning on doing it again. I need to get in there and clean up the various sawdusty areas and figure out some storage to keep tools off my bench (when not being used). It is a lot of work, but it's worth it.

I played with Sketchup for several days figuring out a layout and it's working quite well.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Just don't let your wife help. Wives have a way of putting things away so that some of them never see the light of day again.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Williamstown... what a wonderful place to be. I loved it there... and what a Millennium party!

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm glad you mentioned sawdust. I generally keep my tools picked up but rarely clean up saw dust until I finish whatever I am working on, might be months. Once finished, all the sawdust gets swept up until the next project when it starts accumulating again

My question is this: a new project creates new sawdust but it seems to reach a status quo; i.e. reaches a certain quantity and doesn't seem to increase. Why? (Note: I have never actually measured it)

Reply to
dadiOH

You forgot to sweep off your eyeballs.

With the attached garage (onto the shop) almost completed, I moved my jointer, a work table and the anvil from the mai area in there. I assembled my new planer in the gaage area last fall. I don't have all the electricity run, yet, so the dust collection is not installed. It gets dusty/dirty in there, fast. I did this moving a month, or so, ago and the main part of the shop is more clear, now. I cleaned up when I moved stuff out, but I still have rearranging to do, more storage space for hand tools and other odds & ends and a major project to finish. Cleaning, alone, is a significant job, for me. Lately, I've been alternating between upholstery, woodworking and try to do some new landscaping. For convenience, lately, some of my landscaping tools are stored in the shop garage for use the next day. SOmeday, I'll get it all straightened out.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

They say that a watched pot never boils... If you sweep up everyday it provides better footing and adds to the feeling of accomplishment! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Leafblower's faster.

Reply to
Steve

Ayup. I'm spending more time now moving things out of the way to work than I am working in there.

I'm far too oblivious to clutter for that to affect me.

-- Life is full of little surprises. --Pandora

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RE: Subject

Living in a temperate climate offers many advantages.

Put all you mjor power tools on wheels (T/S, Jointer, Planer, Router Table, etc)

Push tools out on driveway to use.

A push broom, a flat bottom coal shovel and a 30 gal garbage can serves as the dust collection system.

Return tools at end of day.

Was able to work outside in SoCal except parts of the rainy months of Dec, Jan Feb.

Would even work back in Ohio if 30F-40F doesn't bother you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"dadiOH" wrote in news:4d72a9c3$0$19600$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

Oh it never stops accumulating... it's just the change isn't noticed as easily. Sawdust is the same color as sawdust...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

My indoor shop space is quite small, and the main room also houses a model railroad, which doesn't do well with dust.

I just completed a ramp from the kitchen patio door out to the patio to be able to do the same thing - and all of my major tools are on wheels just for that purpose. Since I'm in Phoenix, I won't be able to do a lot of work during the summer months unless I get up really early, but at least I'll be able to work more often than I have lately with this new setup.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

...and they want you to pitch all those perfectly good scraps that adorn all the free space (what ever that is).

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

----------------------------- Railroad "HO" by chance?

Is the patio covered or bare cement?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

HO, yes, about 12 x 18, around the walls. Slowly working on scenery; the trackwork has been done for a couple of years now, and I have monthly operating sessions on it - had a good one just last night. The rest of the space is primarily used to store all of my woodworking tools.

Patio is bare cement, walls on two sides, patio door from the kitchen at one end, the other end open to the back yard. Outdoor electrical outlet nearby. Keep thinking about some sort of covering for the patio area but haven't built anything yet.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

-------------------------------- "Matt" wrote:

-------------------------------- Nice size layout.

----------------------------------

-------------------- Some 1" EMT, a silver tarp, and the 1" EMT fittings to form the frame to support the tarp and you're in business.

Very common around here to provide some shade over bare cement, quickly and at low cost..

Gotta be somebody locally selling the stuff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm lucky enough to have a "year round" shop for the first time.. Well, except for the big tools that are on the carport and don't get used much in the summer..

I try to pick an area at a time to go through, the lumber rack on a wall is the current project.. Oh.. and almost time to get the AC serviced..

Reply to
Mac Davis

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into it! I'd thought about some sort of wood framework tied into the roof lines on the side walls, but this could be cheaper and faster.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

You are tracking the excess inside the house. ;~) I clean up daily now, only takes about 5 minutes.

Reply to
Leon