Menards "Tool Shop" Drill Press?

Hi,
I'm in the market for a drill press. Ideally, I'd like to get a halfway-decent floor style for somewhere in the $200 range. I've been looking at Grizzly and a few other brands. I was in Menards today and saw a "Tool Shop" (Menards brand) 16-speed floor-type drill press with 3/4 HP motor for less than $200. It seems to be very solid (we're not talking Powermatic, but it seems adequate for my needs). The adjustments, mechanics, fit and finish, etc. seemed sound.
Does anyone have one of these, or know anything about the "Tool Shop" line of drill presses? Some of the other "Tool Shop" tools seem a little sketchy, but this one didn't. I'm leaning toward giving it a try, but if you have any input please let me know!!!
Thanks, John
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:07:12 -0800, John Bohman wrote:

I have the bench model. Chinese. The quill wobbles. Mine had no indexing pin to realign the table. It drills ok; if your drill press requirements involve a dial indicator, you might be disappointed. For me, it was a big improvement over a hand-held, so my expectations were low and easily met.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"

"runout", it will be mechanicaly disapointing for assembly and use in one or several ways, no matter what. So, what if you would spend merely twice as much on an accurate, properly U.S. made, heavy floor standing machine of twelve speeds, with free shipping and a full two year warrentee? If yes, then search for Palmgren on Amazon.com. It will last a loooooooong time!
Alex

I hate Tool Shop for just about everything- but my wife got me a little benchtop drill press for Christmas last year with that despised logo, and I have to admit, it is not as bad as I might have expected. It's built very solidly, and doesn't have much runout. I've drilled thousands of holes with the little sucker in all sorts of domestic hardwoods and weldable (1018) steel using wood/metal, wood only, and forsner bits (up to 1.25"). I've also used it for little sanding drums and buffing wheels with no problem. My only gripes with it are:
A) It does not have much clearance (but that is a problem with the size of the press, and not the manufacturing)
B) the screw that the depth indicatior mounts on is made of plastic, so I don't really trust it to drill holes to a specific depth with much accuracy (so far it's been ok- I just don't trust it much)
C) The quill is an odd size, so it is not able to accept a hollow chisel mortising attachment without modification.
Overall, it makes the bits go 'round, and does the job it needs to do admirably considering the price. If you can afford something better, It'd probably be a good idea to buy quality the first time- but if you're on a limited budget, the drill press would be the one and only exception I'd make when it comes to the Tool Shop junk.
Good luck!

True for all of it but the drill press, don't ask me why. John Menard must have slipped up and said "iron" when he really meant "plastic and epoxy" The little bugger I've got weighs about 70lbs, and it's only got a 9" capacity.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Where can I get more info on Palmgren? They have a ton of stuff on Amazon.com and if it is really USA made, some of it will likely make it to my shop. I wouldn't mind a USA made drill press for twice the cost of a Tool Shop model.
Brian Elfert

Craftsman things are made by them in the latest small xmas catalog, a tilting mini band saw and a 16" scroll saw, a good way to get them for less.
Alex

I did find their website. It appears they are like General. A few expensive items made in North America and the rest made overseas.
The web site isn't clear on what is made where.
Brian Elfert

Palmgren.
Alex