Menards

Menards just opened in our area, so went to look at their shed doors. Unfortunately they are not kept in stock and take 4-6 weeks to receive. They are foam core insulated steel doors (2), pre-hung on a steel frame. Has anyone had any experience with these? Or Menards?

We need to replace or rebuild our shed doors and this may be a better than wood. It will offer more security and should be easy enough to hang once the door is framed. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Menard's doors will run about $269, free delivery to store. I haven't priced out parts/lumber for a wood shed door, but it's barn style doors 5'11" by 7'1". The original doors never alighed completely so never bolt lock on the inside, just an outside padlock. Also the cross wood (decoration) got water behind it and caused those pieces to rot and started the doors rotting. If we go wood, we would bolt the door thru the hinges instead of screw as the originals were as we had to move them three times due to trim wood failure.

My husband and I have been trying to get outside things done before winter, ergo I've been asking a few questions lately. Since I work from home, and have more woodworking experience, I get to field this work and research. So, any advice or information is appreciated. `Casper

Reply to
Casper

Sounds like a good way to go. Once you price out the wood and the time to build, this is a pretty good deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You will really like Menards. When we were in Indianapolis we had Lowes and Home Depot, within about a mile of our house, but because of customer service and price we would drive about 7 miles to the Menards.

I wish we would get one here in Raleigh.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

As Ed say's.....sounds like a winner. Again, I always weigh the facts..... If it takes 4 to 6 weeks delivery, and you are not working on any special project, then it would be a good time to build some doors. Either way........flip a coin. john

[...]

jloomis

--------------------------------------------------------------- Definitely stronger than wood.

The urethane core provides insulation.

Also, probably less weight than wood construction.

This construction came about as a result of Andrew when it tore up a big piece of South Florida back in '92.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Agreed. I think the OP will like the steel door. Just keep it painted and it should last a good long time.

There is a Menards near both my mother's and brother's house. I wasn't impressed, at all. I find HD and Lowes vary widely by region. Here, HD is better than Lowes. In OH, it was the other way around, by a long shot.

Reply to
krw

I have Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes all within a few miles of me. This week Lowes and Menards put a "leaf rake" on sale. $17.99, or so, at Lowes, and $4.99 at Menards. If you want to buy DeWalt power tools, then you have to go to Lowes. If you want Formaldehyde-free plywood, then you have to go to Home Depot. Menards gives me free t-shirts and hats. One of my relatives thinks that the lumber always "looks better" at Home Depot than at Menards, and he is right at least some of the time.

Incidentally, Lowes gives 5% discount at time-of-purchase if you use their credit card--but they seemed to have raised at least some of the prices in the store by about the same amount at the same time they started that. Menards gives 2% rebate once a year on all purchases. I have to give Lowes a "-1" on that account, for effectively charging it's customers different prices. My wallet prefers Menards, but I am glad to have the opportunity to find the best value for myself among the three stores.

Reply to
Bill

Casper wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Plenty of experience with Menards. Most of it's pretty good, but you do need to realize what you're getting in to. Their quality range goes from the low and cheap to the mid-range.

They often have things "free after rebate", which is great if it's something you can use anyway. Recently they've had "Make a buck" rebates on towels and wash clothes. They're good towels (dark pink) and wash clothes (dark purple), plus you get a credit check to use in store for a future purchase.

The Menards rebates are in-store credit, but if you're going to shop there anyway it's no big deal.

Last time we ordered something, they asked for my phone number and e-mail address. They sent a tracking link to my e-mail address (well, to a special one I give to companies that shouldn't be asking.), but did not call when the order was in (and told me they weren't going to).

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Bought a set or two of that color once. It didn't take long before all of my white clothes had the same hue. I file that memory under "lessons learned".

Menards has plenty of stuff that is just as good as anyone's (e.g. they have a great assortment of light bulbs). They also have the best screw/nut/bolt collection (locally) to choose from--which I appreciate. From what I've read, I'll never buy any of their fluorescent light fixtures.

Reply to
Bill

This is why I was disappointed they did not have one set of doors on display so people can see what they look like. Thay have tons of other doors, including steel basement doors, just not these shed doors. I really wanted to get an idea of their quality.

My second concern is shipping mistakes or other delays. Six weeks will put us right before Thanksgiving and any longer than that could be a real problem for us weather wise. Ohio weather has been flakey the last few years and this year all the almanac lovers are telling me we're going to be getting our past due snow. Not what I am looking forward to, for sure.

Is it wise to cut away part of the lower sidewall of a shed and replace it? Basically a 6-8 inch portion of the bottom all along both sides has gotten quite wet and started falling apart. I thought about a horizontal cut all across, removing the damaged part, then putting in new wood and filling the gap line with filler, then paint. I'm just not sure that's wise with all the water it gets. `Casper

Reply to
Casper

------------------------------------------------------ Assuming you are in Northern Ohio, is Dick Goddard still around doing his wooley bear forecasts of the upcoming winter?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

OPPS!

Make that wooley bear caterpillar, not just wooley bear.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On 10/14/2013 10:50 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

_Everybody_ knows it's the number of foggy mornings in October on Crab Orchard Mountain, not the woolly bears!!! :)

Reply to
dpb

On 10/14/2013 10:13 AM, Casper wrote: ...

Well, it's either that or replace the whole or do nothing and let it continue to fail. I presume you can see what shape the studs are in from the inside? Of course, even if they're pretty well shot at the bottom you can scab onto them if needs must be.

From a practical standpoint of doing such repair, if you can manage to do so, the more weatherproof solution is to pull the remaining siding loose another foot and slide the new under to shed water (just don't nail too close to the joint and break the surface). I've also on at least one occasion put two rows of horizontal cementboard 6" clapboards around the bottom that is much more water resistant. Of course, it helps if you can raise the whole thing up on another layer of blocks so it has some ground clearance as well.

Reply to
dpb

I sure didn't like the lumber I bought at Menards, but that was several years ago when I was working on mom's house. I have no idea what they're like now.

As I said, I like the HD here somewhat better than the Lowes and there are more of them. Lowes has gone to a brand of electrical supplies that I don't recognize so stick with HD. For most things that have common brands or where brand really doesn't matter (plywood, wire, etc.) they're exactly the same price. I don't have a Lowes credit card because the bastards wouldn't give me one, despite an 840 credit score. It's GE credit; 'nuff said. Idiots. I get my 1% back on AmEx.

Reply to
krw

For light bulbs, I've been using 1000bulbs.com. Good prices.

Reply to
krw

I have see several successful repairs where they have done exactly as you describe.

I think it depends on the part that will be left. Is the upper part in good enough shape, that you will not be wasting your money trying to do half the Job? If the side walls are panels and are delaminate on the bottom they could also be about to delaminate in the upper portions. In this case it may be more economical to replace the side walls with new exterior outside paneling rather that try to replace the bottom.

If you decide to replace the bottom, section they make a line all around the shed on all four sides. Then with the blade out to the depth of the panel they cut all four sides of the shed with a power saw.

I think the key to the success of doing it this way is to seal the joint between the new section and the old. The seal should be such that the water coming down the side of the shed will be directed away from the lower section, and the water will not wick between the and up into the upper older section.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Casper wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just another big box store not any better than blue or orange.

Reply to
ts

At least in my locale, they carry the System Saver II water softener pellets--and blue and orange do not. YMMV. I like the store.

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

it's still a medicore at best box store.

Reply to
xxxx