Melamine sheets at Home Depot

Page 1 of 2
The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97 sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site isn't any help, either.
Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff?
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller)wrote:

And they weren't any help at the pro desk?
I ordered a couple sheets awhile back from Lowe's....

Mighta been... if there had been anyone there. :-(

Thanks, didn't know they carried it. I'll check there.
Doug Miller wrote:

No, but they may be confused by the word "melamine". I went in to buy a couple sheets of laminate, asked where they were and they showed me the melamine PB. Try asking for "laminate".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Melamine PB is a low-pressure laminate, while Formica and the like are high-pressure laminate.
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Yes, I know. I didn't want the mel board, wanted laminate...my point was that the HD employee thought mel board was laminate; therefore, it is possible that...
Oh, nevermind :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

I know what you meant, I'm just not sure it would help. If I asked for "laminate" I'd be worried about being pointed to the flooring department. :)
Chris
Chris Friesen wrote:

Well, if you are you are. Won't be the last time you'll wander all over a Home Depot looking for something that nobody can find.
Wanted a particular kind of Y hose fitting one day. Went into Lowes, everybody I asked referred me to a different department, finally the manager told me that they didn't have such a thing. So I went out to the car, cranked up my laptop, ordered it online from that store, had lunch, went back after lunch, and they had it waiting for me.

The first (and only) time I saw 3/4" in stock it was leftover from another customer's (large) special order. It was a one time deal, and apparently as not something that's kept on hand (at my big-box stores anyway).
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

My local HD got rid of their 4x8 panels last fall. However, Menards still carries them.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.
On 16-Mar-2009, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not 3/4" thick. I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off....
Once upon a time.. I ran across sheets of 3/4" MDF (clad 2 sides in melamine) at Lowes. I'd never seen it in stock before. It seemed like it'd save time. I figured I'd use it for table tops, cabinets, shelves, etc for the shop/garage." And so I bought a couple sheets. Since then, I've used it for fixtures, wheeled cabinets, and various cross-cut sleds as well.
CW wrote:

Particleboard is available in a range of thicknesses, 3/4" is a common size. Wikipedia has a decent article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_board
MDF and particleboard are both available in a wide range of panel sizes and thicknesses. Around here, melamine-covered panels (for use in kitchen cabinets, for instance) are generally made from particleboard, not MDF.
Chris

Thanks for the link and the info, Chris.
Again, I had it in my head I knew what he was talking about: EITHER the stuff I mentioned, OR the 1/8" - 3/16" thick sheets of paneling (MDF hardboard) clad one side in melamine, like is used in low-cost shower installs. I wasn't thinking covered particle board. But ONLY because I'd never seen the big-box stores here carry such a thing.
Suppose you could say I was unable to think outside the box.... ; )

It's not MDF and it is 3/4" thick. It's the particle board that you find under the pictures of wood in crappy furniture. The HD's around here have always had it, at least in the 2'x4' quarter sheets, never looked for the full sheets. But then I haven't been in there in a couple years.
-Kevin
CW wrote:

Last time I was in Home Depot they had a stack of 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch particle board, not MDF, with melamine on both sides. It was right next to the UV maple plywood and the cut sheets.
Now, finding melamine faced MDF around here is another story . . .
(Doug Miller) wrote : > : > > The HD near me used to carry melamine particle board in 3/4" x 49 x 97 : > > sheets, but I can't find it there any more -- and trying to find an : > > employee who knows what I'm talking about, well.... HD's web site : > > isn't any help, either. : > > : > > Anybody know what their stock number is for that stuff? : > > : > : > My local HD got rid of their 4x8 panels last fall. However, Menards still : > carries them. : : It appears that we're all assuming we know exactly that the OP's talking : about. Perhaps he needs to clarify. When he says "particle board" that : could mean paneling -- but only if it's 1/8" thick (or so) and not 3/4" thick. : I assumed, because of the thickness that he's talking about MDF. But it : could be that he does mean paneling and that his dimensions are off.... : : Once upon a time.. : I ran across sheets of 3/4" MDF (clad 2 sides in melamine) at Lowes. : I'd never seen it in stock before. It seemed like it'd save time. I : figured I'd use it for table tops, cabinets, shelves, etc for the : shop/garage." And so I bought a couple sheets. Since then, I've used : it for fixtures, wheeled cabinets, and various cross-cut sleds as well.
Actually, I've never seen this stuff in HD. Any time I needed some I always got it at Lowe's.
Len

[...]
Reference original post above -- what further clarification is needed?
On 17-Mar-2009, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

None that I can think of. But then that was made abundantly clear yesterday. Thanks though for making me feel even more like a dipshit than I already do. :)

Don't feel like a dipshit. That is my job i here. We are surrounded by a multitude of diverse talent. There is never just one answer. just a whole smorgasbord of opinions. They are all wrong. I am the only one that is ever right. Now, what was your question?
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:57:09 -0700, Hiccum Blurpaedius wrote:
[not much]
Has anyone else noticed that those who post under "cutesy" names (or nyms) seem to post the most profane and useless responses?