Melamine cases white

Any ideas about making a simple book case 3/4" MDF white melamine. I was going to use biscuits but obvioulsy the glue wont stick to the white surface and you can't use screws as you can cover the holes up (maybe you can tell me) Will buscuits be strong enough? 87" tall 24 " wide 7.5" deep 6 shelves
thanks connor
www.connoraston.com
If you use biscuits, the glue will be binding the biscuit to the wood inside the melamine, so you don't have to worry about the glue sticking to the melamine. If you want to use screws, you can get little white plastic screwcovers - some stick directly into the philips head of the screw, some are basically white stickers, or you could countersink the screws and get white plastic plugs. Try http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&pF507&cat=3,41306,41316f for white plastic screw covers. Will it be strong enough? I think your design sounds stronger than many of the pre-cut, assemble-at-home MDF bookshelf kits you get from Target or whatever. If you're really worried about sagging, my only suggestion would be to put a vertical strip of white melamine (or whatever) under each shelf to help support it, or on the front of each shelf like a face frame. Remember to use good dust collection and wear a mask when cutting MDF - not very good for you. Good luck, Andy
I have used screws and counter snk them (have to with Melamine) once done I fill screw/counter sink and then sand dwn the outside (outside is where you can see the screws) then Veneer with a nice wood. I am currently doing my kitchen cabinets this way, nice light color inside but real wood face frame and real wood veneer ends, the doors are quality solid wood. It makes for a real nice cabinet in the end.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:14:20 +0000 (UTC), "connor aston"

Roo Glue will stick to the melamine just fine, use it just like you would any yellow wood glue.
Info here: http://www.rooglue.com /
connor aston wrote:

You could try dadoing the uprights--that would cut through the melamine so your glue would stick.
In any case you're likely going to want to reinforce the shelves. A lip across the front, maybe some support along the back.
Chris
connor aston wrote:

Dave
A company in Bellingham, Washington makes a item called "FastCap" which is an adhesive backed disc of thin melamine which you can use to cover the heads of screws in meamine board. Joe G

connor aston wrote:

Using 3/4" (19mm) melamine at 24" (600mm)width you shouldn't have any problem with the shelves sagging or bowing. My office has wall to wall book cases made from 16mm white mdf melamine and they are stacked with books and have been for about 10 yrs. No visable sag in the adjustable shelves. The cases are all backed with 3mm white board. You should be able to purchase a PVA type melamine glue. I use an "Anchor" product a division of "Bostic" and if you try to seperate parts after the glue has cured you will tear the melamine from the sheet. If you do not wish to use bicuits and clamps, use screws designed for mdf and glue. Whack a white cap or matching coloured one into the screw head and Bob's yer Auntie. If there are small kids around the place, put a drop of super glue or the melamine glue into the screw head prior to fitting the cap. This will prevent them from being dislodged, or pulled out by little fingers and remove the possibility of an ankle biter choking. I'd also recommend fixing the case to a wall as 7 1/2" deep is quite narrow for a unit that tall to be free standing. To do this you can place a rail of either Melamine or timber under the top or one of the fixed shelves. Another recommendation would be to back the case so as to firm it up, hold it square and prevent racking. These are tried and true methods, which I have been using for many years, that does not mean that it is the best, or only method, but it works for me. all the best with the job
regards John
AMAZING PEOPLE Thanks for all your help will try to find ROO glue here in Northern Ireland And also the biscuits will grip the mdf through the melamine Will post a pic when its finished Thanks
connor aston wrote:

I don't know if this is an option, but why not just buy a sheet of that 3/4" birch/maple plywood from homedepot, and then paint it? I was just there today, and they had it for $36. It will look a lot nicer (IMO,. of course), and you won't breathe in that MDF dust which is not good for you, and it's not that much more expensive.
Go here and search on confirmat, which is a fastner system designed for melamine and various other sheet goods.
http://wwhardware.com /
You will also want some of the caps to cover the fastner heads.
connor aston wrote:

Thanks for all you help folks You can see the finished product on my site under the workshop pics section thanks connor
http://www.connoraston.com/workshop.asp
The biscuits and good pva glue i think will be strong enough

www.connoraston.com
If I cant make it - I'll Try!