Meguiar's for final polish

Hi folks,
Has anyone here tried a product called "Meguiar's Scratch X" for doing final polish on a project (e.g., instead of rottenstone)?
Based on threads here and a Google search I figured I'd try the automotive polish route, and noticing that a lot of people recommend the Meguiar's brand. I dropped into the local auto parts store thinking "Meguiar's, how tough can it be?" Unfortunately, there are about half a dozen products by that manufacturer.
This will be my first try at using an automotive compound. Yes, I'll try it on a scrap piece first :-)
Cheers, Nate
I use Meguirs Number 9 for polishing before waxing the car. The Meguirs stuff is much finer than the amatuer brands you see on the shelf. 3M makes some good stuff also. You may need to go to an auto parts store that mixes paints to get the good stuff. The July/August Fine Woodworking has an article on smoothing a finish.
n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote:

Nate,
I don't have experience with the Meguiar's product, but is it as fine as rottenstone? As you're probably aware, rottenstone is a very, very fine powder which should be used after a series of sandpapers and pumice powder to remove the scratch patterns left by those grits. I recently used rottenstone as the final step on a project, and it brought out a true mirror shine. Not sure what you're going for, but I'd certainly suggest you try samples of each first.
Good luck!
-m

I read a tip somewhere recently about using Bon-Ami ("Hasn't scratched yet.") cleanser in place of rottenstone. Claim was that Bon-Ami is an even finer abrasive.
I believe you'll find most Meguiar's products to be the next step _after_ rottenstone. I've actually used the two together, in that order. Both produced a mirror shine, but the latter became lighter and clearer. GerryG

Hi Mike,
Thanks to you and the others for the replies. I am not sure if the Meguiar's is finer than rottenstone; I guess I'll need to try it out on a scrap to see. Previously I, too, have been using rottenstone but thought I'd try a change of pace. The rottenstone is great except that it tends to be a little messy and is tough to remove from the cracks -- it might be that the automotive polishes have the same downside.
Cheers, Nate

Automotive compounds do have this same downside. The newer 3M products aren't as nasty as the older stuff when it comes to cleanup - they don't dry like concrete the way the previous compound did. It's still a cleanup effort though.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Thanks, Mike. I might give the automotive compound a try on some scrap, but it sounds like I'll probably stick with rottenstone for the real project.
Cheers, Nate
p.s. Thanks to all who posted a reply!
If I may throw a turd in the punchbowl the finishing gurus have found Menzerna from Germany for the final steps as worthwhile. Check www.homesteadfinishing.com for description.
On 21 Sep 2004 07:14:23 -0700, n snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Nate Perkins) wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:16:54 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"
Thanks a lot. I fell off my freakin' chair and now my stomach hurts...
TomL