Meguiar's for final polish

Hi folks,

Has anyone here tried a product called "Meguiar's Scratch X" for doing final polish on a project (e.g., instead of rottenstone)?

Based on threads here and a Google search I figured I'd try the automotive polish route, and noticing that a lot of people recommend the Meguiar's brand. I dropped into the local auto parts store thinking "Meguiar's, how tough can it be?" Unfortunately, there are about half a dozen products by that manufacturer.

This will be my first try at using an automotive compound. Yes, I'll try it on a scrap piece first :-)

Cheers, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Jim Behning

Nate,

I don't have experience with the Meguiar's product, but is it as fine as rottenstone? As you're probably aware, rottenstone is a very, very fine powder which should be used after a series of sandpapers and pumice powder to remove the scratch patterns left by those grits. I recently used rottenstone as the final step on a project, and it brought out a true mirror shine. Not sure what you're going for, but I'd certainly suggest you try samples of each first.

Good luck!

-m

Reply to
Mike Pio

I read a tip somewhere recently about using Bon-Ami ("Hasn't scratched yet.") cleanser in place of rottenstone. Claim was that Bon-Ami is an even finer abrasive.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Reply to
GerryG

"Mike Pio" wrote: ...

Hi Mike,

Thanks to you and the others for the replies. I am not sure if the Meguiar's is finer than rottenstone; I guess I'll need to try it out on a scrap to see. Previously I, too, have been using rottenstone but thought I'd try a change of pace. The rottenstone is great except that it tends to be a little messy and is tough to remove from the cracks -- it might be that the automotive polishes have the same downside.

Cheers, Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Automotive compounds do have this same downside. The newer 3M products aren't as nasty as the older stuff when it comes to cleanup - they don't dry like concrete the way the previous compound did. It's still a cleanup effort though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks, Mike. I might give the automotive compound a try on some scrap, but it sounds like I'll probably stick with rottenstone for the real project.

Cheers, Nate

p.s. Thanks to all who posted a reply!

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Reply to
nospambob

Thanks a lot. I fell off my freakin' chair and now my stomach hurts...

TomL

Reply to
TomL