Mega gloat

Went to an auction yesterday. bought the contents of a lean-to shed for 200.00. There were some decent things at first glance that were interesting such as a 200lb ship anchor and 8 antique pocket doors, french doors and all sorts of old house hardware. Well worth the 200.00 alone. There was also a wood rack with tons of what appeared to be old sheathing boards. looked like they could be made into something nice. I pulled them all out, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!! Under all of them and not visibe from the lawn: 12 boards of significant worth. Each 8/4X18 Black Walnut. I'm talking 18" WIDE!!! 14 feeet long. I'd say thats about 500 bd/ft. After I rubbed my eyes a few times and re-looked, I had to sit for a minute. If one even wanted to buy boards of that mass could they even do it? These boards have been sitting on this rack for 50 years. Probably more. I'm not giving out my location for security purposes!!! What a score!
On 03 Apr 2004 12:34:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GBsCards) wrote:

Those boards are way past the "sell by" date. I'll be right over to help you dispose of this trash.
Pick up some microbrew, I don't expect you to pay me to haul this junk away, but some beer would be nice.
And BTW, YOU REALLY SUCK! <G>
Barry

Big Deal? I got a free apple pie from McDonalds yesterday, beat that! :-) Just kidding... I bet you are over the moon. Sounds like a very nice pickup.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo - Band Saw Handbook - GMC R1200 1/2" Router - LRH Magic Molder - Triton Router Review Update! ------------------------------------------------------------
I am super happy with this and I realize that if I live to be 75 (I'm 31) I probably won't come across a deal like this again.
The thing is, I've only been woodworking for 1 1/2 years. My skills don't warrant me using this wood anytime soon. I always said I wanted to woodwork until the point where I could make a set of dining room ladderbacks, now it's until I can use this walnut.
GBsCards wrote:

I was gonna say... It's a gloat, but it's also an awseome responsibility.
I've been woodworking in one way or another since '95 or so, and I'm getting a lot better at it. Maybe even somewhat good at it. However, I think I would put those boards somewhere safe, look at them, touch them, dream about them, but I'm a long way away from being ready for the magic moment of cutting into one. What if I screw up and fail to pay this magnificent wood the respect it deserves?
You carry an enorous burden, but what a burden to bear!
You SUCK!
"Silvan" wrote in message

Just think of all the red and yeller painted pukey ducks you could make with 504 bf of 12/4, 18" wide, 14' long slabs of black walnut. (Just seeing that in print again makes my saw trigger finger twitch.)
Hmmm ... think we could convince him it's pine?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/02/04

Maybe you should stick it on a rack, put it in a shed, cover it w/ sheathing boards, and wait a looooong time.....
Oh wait, that's already been done.
YOU SUCK!
-JBB
You really suck. If that happened to me I'd retire.
Kevin B.
Its a curse actually, because now you'll have to figure out how to use them.
Whatya gonna do?
On 03 Apr 2004 12:34:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GBsCards) wrote:

You lucky bastard.

Wow! a 200 lb ship's anchor! Way cool! ;-) Greg

you can't use that term for walnut. Now if it was ebony or lignum vitae or anthers valuable lumber it is permissible. since you broke the law you need to pay the fine of 12 boards of walnut payable to me. the address is on my website.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 02:44:56 GMT, Steve Knight

Yeah, you'll make sure they go into projects worthy of their importance. Like maybe plane blade wedges? <nomex=ON>
--
The State always moves slowly and grudgingly towards any purpose that
accrues to society's advantage, but moves rapidly and with alacrity

well I can't build planes out of walnut so it has to be used somewhere. totes would work.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
That's a bummer that you had to cut them in half at 7 feet to get them home.
GBsCards wrote:

In rec.woodworking

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to demand a photo on the binary r.w.p.b before I tell you how bad you suck.
I would give very strong consideration to building a dinning room table, but I have always wanted to build a black walnut dinning room table.