measuring BS tension with a micrometer?

Page 2 of 2

I'm no machinist, but I think you are using either the wrong tool or the wrong name for your tool. A micrometer looks like a C-clamp, with a rigid steel frame. If this is what you are using, you are applying tension to your micrometer frame, which I would hope is much thicker and more stretch resistant than your bandsaw blade. If you manage to somehow clamp the blade tight enough to the frame to get a reading, you will have bent the frame and forced your anvils out of parallel, making the micrometer useless, though I doubt many band saws will generate that much tension. It might be possible to clamp the jaws of a digital caliper to a bandsaw blade, but you are probably better off using a dial indicator, as the professional tension gauges do. I've seen plans for homemade tension gauges in magazines (FWW?) using cheap dial indicators. Maybe someone here can give you a link.
No.

Sorry.. loan business flashback.. *g*
I find that I just don't CARE how correct my blade tension is... sinful by rec standards, I admit, but the truth..
I set it to the gauge and "pluck" it like a guitar string... I've never found out if it's the right pitch, but it comforts me, somehow..
If it cuts straight and sounds ok.. doesn't slide on the tire or bog the motor down, I figure it's right enough..
I loosen it a couple of turns at night and try to tighten it about the same in the morning..
I just can't get myself to care enough about a $12 blade to spend a lot of time getting it ready, and then checking it again the next day..
This sort of leads (ok rambles) to another question... on the machines with levers, does it leave the tension EXACTLY where it was when you loosen it, wait over night and retighten?
Mac