Measure without tape measure.

Page 1 of 4
HOW many can YOU do? (From Popular Mechanics)
As Glenn Reynolds writes in his new PM column, traditional knowledge of how to build and fix ordinary things-around the house and in a jam- might be on the decline. With our lives becoming more driven by technology, blue-collar labor has been replaced with more white-collar employment, and teenagers are becoming better at programming Web sites than swinging hammers.
Here at PM, where we at least try to do everything, we spent weeks fine-tuning our list of "25 Skills Every Man Should Know," debating over whether certain items were too basic, too challenging or just too obscure. You can find a full how-to rundown of each one in the October issue of Popular Mechanics, which just hit newsstands. But for now, check out our carefully selected list below, then offer your own arguments and suggestions in the comments section below, or tell us how to perform your must-know skill by writing to us here...
The List: How to...
1. Patch a radiator hose 2. Protect your computer 3. Rescue a boater who as capsized 4. Frame a wall 5. Retouch digital photos 6. Back up a trailer 7. Build a campfire 8. Fix a dead outlet 9. Navigate with a map and compass 10. Use a torque wrench 11. Sharpen a knife 12. Perform CPR 13. Fillet a fish 14. Maneuver a car out of a skid 15. Get a car unstuck 16. Back up data 17. Paint a room 18. Mix concrete 19. Clean a bolt-action rifle 20. Change oil and filter 21. Hook up an HDTV 22. Bleed brakes 23. Paddle a canoe 24. Fix a bike flat 25. Extend your wireless network
Well...shit....I can do all of those......( I must admit that hooking up The HDTV has a fair bit to do with WHAT protocol...yeah, I hooked up mine... 1080i and all that...)

Sharpen a knife fast so you can fillet a man to perform open chest cpr? Frame a photo? Retouch a trailer? Paint concrete? Where is build a 36x72 pole barn? Tile your bathrooms, install hardwood floors, hang cabinets? Install a mile of wire fence? Castrate pigs? Sharpen the hoe and hoe the corn?
On Sep 12, 8:56 pm, Jim Behning

I cook minute rice in 30 seconds!

Cook a meal (using a stove, not a grill)
--
Regards,
#3 Needs to be replaced with...Get a teenager to clean their room. #8 Some people should never touch any electrical components #9 Isn't this why we have wives
--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.

I can still remember the first time I did that one, a friend's boat trailer while he waited in the boat.
Wed, Sep 12, 2007, 5:27pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth mumble: HOW many can YOU do? (From Popular Mechanics) <snip> 1. Patch a radiator hose 2. Protect your computer 3. Rescue a boater who as capsized 4. Frame a wall 5. Retouch digital photos 6. Back up a trailer 7. Build a campfire 8. Fix a dead outlet 9. Navigate with a map and compass 10. Use a torque wrench 11. Sharpen a knife 12. Perform CPR 13. Fillet a fish 14. Maneuver a car out of a skid 15. Get a car unstuck 16. Back up data 17. Paint a room 18. Mix concrete 19. Clean a bolt-action rifle 20. Change oil and filter 21. Hook up an HDTV 22. Bleed brakes 23. Paddle a canoe 24. Fix a bike flat 25. Extend your wireless network <snip>
All, with the below exceptions: 2. Don't got no computer. Anyway, no definition of 'protect'. 5. Don't take digital photos, and wouldn't care about retouching them if I did. 14. You do know that this is not a guaranteed driving maneuver, don't you? Expecially on ice, or packed snow. 15. You do realize that this could take the combined efforts of multiple persons, and perhaps one, or more wreckers, do you not? And, if you get stuck during a thaw, in wintertime, and then a freeze, you could be there until the spring thaw. 16. Being as I do not have a computer, I backup up any files I want to be sure are saved by printing them out.. 23. I tend to stay out of boats I cannot confidentially stand up in. 25. That would depend on what you mean by 'extend'. I regularly add numbers on my cell phone, but as I only have it for emergency use, I only call to tel a doctor's office I will be late for an appointment, etc. But, to actually use it to call people, just to talk to them? I don't call people on my house phone, so no way I'd be interested in talking on my cell phone.
How about adding some more 'lost' skills? 1. Change a tire. 2. Drive a stick shift. 3. Replace burnout lights on a vehicle. 4. Replace a window pane. 5. Re-roof a house (used to be common for people to do their own, instead of paying someone else to do it) 6. How to look for information, whether on a computer, or in a library, instead of just asking someone else to provide them an answer. The list goes on. And on. And on.

That may be one of the toughest on any list, the way cars are designed today. Depending on the light, it may take an hour or more to remove all the panels and covers to get to the bulb.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thu, Sep 13, 2007, 10:22pm snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) did post thusly: I said: 6.bay.webtv.net... He said: 3. Replace burnout lights on a vehicle. That may be one of the toughest on any list, the way cars are designed today. Depending on the light, it may take an hour or more to remove all the panels and covers to get to the bulb.
When I wrote that I was thinking of head lights, tail lights, etc. - amazing how many people can't even do that. When dash lights burn out, that's one reason flashllights were invented - I believe manufactures may purposely make those so hard to change so you'll want to buy a new vehicle..
On 14 Sep, 09:31, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

JT clarified: "When I wrote that I was thinking of head lights, tail lights, etc"
Sorry, but on many cars, headlights and tails lights can be just as difficult to replace as a dashboard lights. Tail lights can be especially difficult in vehicles without trunks - SUVs, vans, etc. In many cases, gone are the days of unscrewing the assembly from the vehicle and removing the bulb. Now, interior panels and trim may have to be removed to get to the bulb.

On my full-size van it is a *major* project to change a headlight, requiring extensive removal of parts and the skill of a contortionist to reach the bulb. I also have a mini-van that has a burned out clearance light on the back. I'll be darned if I can figure out *any* way to get to it short of removing the entire headliner. Some of these things are major mysteries. The same mini-van has a couple of burned out lights in the dash and the dealer doesn't know how to replace them, he claims that they really aren't supposed to burn out in the normal life of the vehicle.
It's a strange, strange world we live in nowadays.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Definition of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's nothing. While I can do everything on the list, I was unable to turn my headlights OFF in my 2001 GMC pickup a year after I bought it. I was picking my young son up at the school parking parking lot after a school ski trip. It was 12:30 a.m. and very cold out, lots of cars waiting for their kids. Every time I started the truck to warm it up, the lights would go on automatically, blinding the folks parked in the little car in front of me. Nothing I did other that shut the truck off would turn them off, so I was greatly annoying to the people in front of me. Eventually I found out you had to have the parking brake on before the damned lights would go out... What if I was running moonshine and wanted to hide from the revenuers at night? Who would have thought you would need a damned owners manual to figure out how to turn off your headlights?
Now, I'm trying to figure out how to turn on the running lights... they must go on auto magically cause I can't get them to turn on to see which one is out. I did learn the best way to fix your ABS brakes is to simply pull the fuse:-)
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Jack Stein wrote:

I have one of those infernal things as well as the wife's Buick -- what the heck is wrong w/ a stinkin' ol' off/head/park switch is beyond me.
"Jack Stein" wrote

Speaking of modern vehicles...
My wife bought a car recently. I test drove it but haven't driven it since. I haven't had time to sit down and read the manual. I don't feel confident without reading the manual. That damn car is smarter than me.
Shortly after buying the car, She developed some major upper back pain. I was giving her massages nightly and we were experimenting with different topical pain products. This went on for a week and a half. We finally figured out that the car has some kind of adjustable lumbar support.
We figured out the secret handshake for this adjustable lumbar support. It turns out at the original setting, it turned her shoulders down. This led to the painful upper back. We came up with a comfortable setting for her. And the back pains magically vanished!
We peeled a bunch of warning labels off of the car. But none of them mentioned the consequences of a maladjusted lumbar support.
<grumble, grumble, bitch, bitch>
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:31:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Maybe.
My Subaru Outback was cake, as is my Tacoma. AFAIR, I didn't need a single tool on the Subie. My Nissan pickup needed a 4" thick NASA procedure and room full of engineers to figure out. <G>
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

To replace a rear tail light on the company Silverado pickup I drive you have to either remove the "Fibre Body" cap/box or chop a hole in it to get to the lens cover screws. See:
http://www.brandfxbody.com/fibrebody/inserts.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Strange. In California, in 8 years of driving my Sierra, I've never needed to change a taillight in it. Daytime running lamps, on the other hand...
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Check the lamp socket. You'll probably find it's scorched and the socket needs replacement. Five trucks in one office, all with the same trouble, and GM says "What problem?".
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

So THAT would be why I see so many of the previous version of GM truck with only one DRL?

I went into the dealer after about three years of messing with the auto parts store lamps lasting a short time. The old guy at the parts counter reached into a box under the counter, pulled out three or four lamps, and said "Here, these should work. No charge." And they did. One finally burned out, and I can't find the others in my garage now. ;-)
I suspect they knew they had a problem.
No sign of burning on the lamp socket, but this is a warm weather truck that's seen snow MAYBE once...
Patriarch