measure twice cut once

Page 1 of 3

the hardware store cut the plywood into pieces about 1/8 too short.
I can still use them but not quite as planned.
The steel supplier delivers steel oversize all of the time. I just learned to have more scrap. Getting less is a problem. Martin
On 5/28/2015 10:07 PM, Contrarian wrote:

On 5/28/2015 11:07 PM, Contrarian wrote:

--
Froz...

Last time that happened, I had only the guy in the mirror to blame. Fortunately, I don't have a mirror in my shop so he didn't have to endure my wrath. :-)
If it's important that a piece not be under a specific size, there's two ways to handle it: Have the piece cut oversize and recut it yourself, or tell the guy doing the cutting about the requirement. I usually use the first method, but have occasionally used the second method.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Contrarian" wrote in message

Sounds like they cut to the wrong side of the marks so you lost the width of the kerf... or the end of their tape measure was buggered up!

one of the two. :-(
On 5/29/2015 1:08 AM, Contrarian wrote:

that, while they'd do a pretty good job of cutting, it wouldn't be with the precision of a cabinet shop.
Contrarian wrote:

two of mine seem to read the same.

On 5/29/2015 10:30 AM, Bill wrote:

In some pro shops there will be a board mounted on the wall. "If you tape does not measure this at exactly 24" it is wrong and cannot be used"
Find a good one and adjust or discard the others.
On 5/28/15 10:07 PM, Contrarian wrote:

My guess-- he marked the measurement, then cut on the "keep" side of the mark instead of the waste side. I usually put an X on the side of the measurement I want the blade to cut to avoid such brain-farts.
I see hardware store saws as rough cutters for convenience. I would never use them for final cuts because I would never trust their accuracy, straightness, or for a clean cut.
--

-MIKE-

I mark my cuts with a pencil like this:
|- or -|
to show that the blade goes right, or left, respectively, of the line.

Exactly so.
On 5/28/2015 10:07 PM, Contrarian wrote:

Why woodworkers buy their own tools ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/28/2015 11:07 PM, Contrarian wrote:

them, but if an error, it will be on you.
On Friday, May 29, 2015 at 10:17:17 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I thought they cut oversize to sell you more wood.
"Can you please cut this sheet of plywood in half?
"I'm sorry, we have to cut it at 48 1/2". You'll have to go get a second sheet if you want two 48" pieces."
;-)
On 5/30/2015 12:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Absolutely correct, no matter how you cut it. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 5/30/2015 12:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You realize that NO ONE can cut a sheet of plywood in half and end up with two 48" wide pieces, right? ;~)

1530mm)
They don't make 4x8' anymore. It is all metric and is close to that size. Check the thickness of a 1/2" or 3/4" board...
Martin
On 5/31/2015 2:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 5/31/15 8:16 PM, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Nope, just checked. It's dead on 48"x96", unless it's that crappy Chinese stuff I got that's not even square.
--

-MIKE-

Comes from Chile. The large tree farms there and lumber mills.
Martin