MDF Shortage?

Page 2 of 3

http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=djia&sid 43&time=5yr&Submit1=Refresh
more interesting chart
http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?pg=ch&symb=djia&time=all&freq=1mo&charts=0&comp=&compidx ªaaa%7E0&ind_compind=&uf=0&lf=1&ma=0&maval`
Add pictures here
✖
Swingman said:

That's a fact. And a phrase I've use often over the past few decades.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, but... If you are heavily vested in the stock market, it may look rosy. IMHO, I don't feel that is an accurate indicator of the health of the economy for your average putz, however. Represents increasing stock values for do nothing investors - not personal earnings, cost of living, etc. for the working populace. How do they achieve increased stock earnings? Cutting salaries, sending jobs overseas, gutting retirement and healthcare benefits, cheapening products; thereby increasing volume through replacement sales? Lovely...

And this, too, is a fact.
Greg G.
Add pictures here
✖
"Swingman" wrote:

until
The performance of the market has left me totally under whelmed since 01/01/00.
There are some exceptions.
As far as the media is concerned, what do you see as a "vested interest" in the current news?
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
"Lew Hodgett" wrote \

uh huh. my friend ... ain't gonna bite on that.
Instead:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080116-intel-stock-tanks-despite-record-fourth-quarter-earnings.html
Read the last two paragraphs "carefully" ... typical of the "doom and gloom", despite the reality of the situation.
... and "reality" can be what you report it to be, providing you harp on the negative long enough.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
"Swingman" wrote:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080116-intel-stock-tanks-despite-record-fourth-quarter-earnings.html
and
Pretty straight forward if you ask me.
AKA: "That's nice, but you can do better".
Not my kind of motivation, but have seen enough of it in corporate life to recognise it.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Certainly are -- and, of course, "since Jan 2000" includes the '01/'02 period--if consolidated at that time then reentered markets beginning in early 2002, some comparisons would be(*)
Since Since 2000 2003 DJIA +15% +60% SP500 0 70 Russ 2000 55 100 NASDAQ -35 100 Oil/Gas 215 240
_I'm_ certainly not complaining... :)
(*) These are approximate taken from www.marketwatch.com graphing tool between 1/1/00 and 1/1/03 thru 12/31/07.
✖
"dpb" wrote:

Look at GE for the last 7+ years.
Was about $65 when Welch retired.
Got as low as low $20s, has struggled to get back in the $30s, never has made $40.
IMHO, not a stellar track record for a first rate company.
As I said, some winners, some not.
Lew .
Add pictures here
✖
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I've never held GE...but judging "the market" on the basis of one stock is more than a little absurd... :(
✖
"dpb" wrote:

stock
You want an argument, change the subject.
Simply an observation of a pretty decent company.
Personally, had much better results from '93 thru 2000 than from 2001 to date, but that's life in the market.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

You mean like Apple Computer when I got in at $ 60.00? AKA The market's doing great!
Add pictures here
✖

You cannot judge the "market" by "a" poorly performing stock. If you want to see a good example, look at Google.
Add pictures here
✖

I would say you were not paying close attention.
It has done quite well beginning in March of 03 for about 12 months. Again in July of 06 till July of 07 it did quite well,
Over all the Dow Industrials alone is up from about 7,900 to 14,0000 spanning the period of March 2003 to July of 2007. That is a 78% increase in just over 4 years, averaging an 18% gain every year during that period. From March 2003 to "Now" it is up about 60%, bringing the average down to, but still a very healthy yearly average gain of 12.5%.
What would impress you, a better money manager perhaps? ;~)
Add pictures here
✖

Who's not paying attention here? He said "since 01/01/00". Not "since March of 03".
DJIA close on 31 Dec 1999: 11,497 DJIA close yesterday: 12,466
That's 8.4% in just over eight years, for an annualized rate of return right at a whopping ONE PERCENT. After adjusting for inflation, stocks have been a horrendous money *loser* "since 01/01/00".

Conveniently ignoring the 61% *loss* between 14 Jan 2000 and 9 Oct 2002...

A 78% increase in 4-1/3 years is a 14.4% annual rate, not 18%. (You're not taking compounding into account.)

57% in 4 yrs 10 mos = 9.8% annually, not 12.5. (Compounding again.)

For starters: - addressing the point raised - not cherry-picking time periods - correctly calculating annual rate of return
--
Regards,
✖

Good God DOUG! Is March 03 NOT SINCE 01/01/00????????????

And now you chang the game to suit your whims. 12/31/99 IS NOT since 01/01/00
I cleaned out my blocked senders list but it gets anotther familiar name today.
Add pictures here
✖
"Leon" wrote

ROTFL ... unlike the DJ, some things never change!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Yep -- like you jumping in with another uninformed comment...
Hint: go back a few posts in the thread and read again, for comprehension this time. Lew said the market had performed poorly since 01/01/00; Leon claimed Lew hadn't been paying attention, citing performance during a couple of carefully selected periods during that time; I pointed out that Leon is ignoring performance over the *entire* time, and gave incorrect figures for rate of return in several places.
Lew was right: market performance since 01/01/00 has sucked. Sure, there have been a few periods in there when it did well, but there have also been some periods when it did very, very badly.
--
Regards,
✖

Sure -- but so is the period between Jan 2000 and Feb 2003, during which the market performed VERY poorly.

True -- it's ONE DAY BEFORE. Or did you miss that?
--
Regards,
✖
"Leon" wrote:

If some of my nags would decide it's time to get out of the starting gate and back in the race<grin>
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Lew, I feel your pain and frustration and AMOF just got off the telephone with my money manager. I have done pretty well since 03/03 but not as well as the market. Weeeeer gunna make some changes pretty quick.
Add pictures here
✖

http://money.cnn.com/quote/chart/chart.html?symb=djia&sid 43&time=5yr&Submit1=Refresh
I was watching Matt interview that wild and crazy stock guy, Jim Cramer, on the Today show this morning. Finally he brought up a question and was correctly answered. Matt asks, isn't the media partly to blame for the bad feelings and results of people being afraid to spend money because of the recession. He had to ask this twice but Jim finally answered correctly, YES. The problems we have today largely stem from misrepresentation, false information, and deception.
It ain't "News" unless it is exciting. It ain't exciting unless we add some BS to get your attention.
The environmentalists like to throw false figures out there to get the uneducated, and apathetic wound up and excited. Recently they whined about British Airways burning 20K gallons of fuel to make Trans Atlantic flights with no passengers. That may be true but what they were really complaining about was the amount of pollution. They claimed IIRC 400 Tons of carbon pollution. I did the math using their figures and find that burning 20K gallons of fuel that weights less than 160,000 pounds creates 800,000 pounds of waste carbon according to their claims. So burning 1 lb of jet fuel creates 5 lbs of carbon? Nope!
To keep from being burned by the media and while managing your financial dealings, verify for your self because most everything you hear is a sales gimmick of some sort.
Add pictures here
✖