MDF: Repair or Replace?

I'm looking for the best way to repair the back panel(door) of a game cabinet because I don't want to have too build another one.
The original one in was made of MDF and the edges of the "lips" have worn down near the corners:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/MsPac-manRearPanelDoor.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/BottomofreardoorA.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/BottomofreardoorB.jpg
I'd appreciate recommendations on the best way to go about repairing this.
Is it something I can build up with Bondo? Or should I try routing it down far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.
Here is an edge view illustration of the "undamaged" dimensions:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/MsPac-manRearPanelDoorDimensions.jpg
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.con.com wrote:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/BottomofreardoorA.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/BottomofreardoorB.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/MsPac-manRearPanelDoorDimensions.jpg
Yes, you could smooth the edge and build a lip with Bondo, sand smooth and paint but it won't have any shear strength. It is so thin that it wouldn't be great even in solid wood. BTW, what you have isn't MDF, it is particle board.
Your best repair would be to cut off the lip plus another 1/2" or so and glue on a piece of wood to replace what you cut off. If you have to have a lip, rout it into the wood either before or after gluing it on. If you need to use screws or nails, pre-drill.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 7:23:20 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

I thought that particle board had courser fibers like this:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Pole%20Position%20II%20Project/ParticleBoard.jpg

It seems as though you are recommending that I edge glue and add screws into the edge.
I also assume you don't think that face gluing a piece as shown here would work, correct?:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/MsPac-manRearPanelDoorRepair.jpg
(That is, provided there are 3/8" thick sizes available).
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 1:09:09 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@mail.con.com wrote:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/MsPac-manRearPanelDoorRepair.jpg
Actually, I meant 3/16".
Darren Harris Staten Island,New York.
RE: Subject
You'll be time and money ahead if you just cut a new back from a 1/2" sheet of MDF.
Lew
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:24:10 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@mail.con.com wrote:

enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

Q: How does a door get rounded on BOTH edges like that? Curious!
Is there any reason you can't simply overlay a moulding over the bottom? Even a 1x4 pineywood strip might work. Screw it on from the inside, prime/paint it, and forget it.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 8:58:59 AM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

It's extremely common on these games. I assume that the wear is due to the slight movements over the course of over three decades along with the weight of the panel/door all rested on that 3/16" wide lip.

That lip fits inside a slot, so the dimensions have to be correct.
On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 10:19:01 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@mail.con.com wrote:

far enough to allow me to face glue in a new piece of 3/8" thick MDF *if* I can find that size somewhere? The only other repair option left is to cut a piece of MDF to spec and *edge glue* it in place, but that doesn't seem like it would be strong enough.

slight movements over the course of over three decades along with the weight of the panel/door all rested on that 3/16" wide lip. Um, why is the door scraping on the ground, anyway? I guess it's the walking it does when people TILT it, huh?

Is the door inset or something? If the lip is in a slot, why is it scuffed all to hell? Does not compute. Where are the hinges, anyway?
Darren, you'd have better luck asking questions with picture urls linked to the query. We could see how these things sit in their habitats.
-- A human being must have occupation if he or she is not to become a nuisance to the world. -- Dorothy L. Sayers
We need to find -jobs- for our CONgresscritters! -- Larry Jaques
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 10:21:39 PM UTC-5, Larry Jaques wrote:

Here's that pic again:
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll257/Statenislander/Ms%20Pac-man%20Project/MsPac-manRearPanelDoor.jpg
That is the door upside down leaning against a wall, so you can see that the bottom of that panel/door is where the damage is. There are no hinges. The lip is placed in it's slot when it is on the cabinet and that keeps the bottom in place. And if you look closely, the top of the panel/door has a lock in the center.

I thought I did.
I just corresponded with other collectors who have the same problem and apparently if you take these doors off the cabinet and sit them in a corner somewhere that lip starts to deteriorate on it's own. I guess it's just the nature of the material.(I'm still not positive what material it is).