MDF-Lacquer Finish

I was doing a test of sprayed black lacquer on MDF today and thought I'd post the results on ABPF.

The test piece is a fluted pilaster and the intent is to show that cut surfaces can be finished to match the uncut surface of the MDF.

On this piece the flutes and bevels were sanded 80/120/180/220/320.

The uncut surfaces were sanded 220/320.

Two coats of Vinyl Sanding Sealer were sprayed and sanded with 320.

One coat of Gloss Nitro Lacquer with Black Transtint Dye was sprayed and rubbed with 4/0 steel wool.

A second wet coat of Gloss Nitro Lacquer with Transtint Dye was sprayed.

There is no clear coat of lacquer on this yet but you can see that there will be no difference in reflectivity between the worked surfaces and those unworked.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson