MDF edge-priming revisited.

Yes, kiddies, I remembered to look up, ,as promised, what we have been using to fill/prime the edges of MDF, prior to painting.
This would be the stuff:
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID1
An automotive product.
(Here in Canuckistan, we call it Green Stuff..(that's because it is red.)
Robatoy wrote:

Yes, auto (or marine) glazing compounds work wonderfully for smoothing or filling minor dings. Trouble is, they are expensive so - as homage to my Scottish ancestry - I make my own by mixing talc with lacquer to the consistency I want (somewhere between peanut butter and vaseline). It spreads easily, sands slick as a whistle. I keep it in a lidded can but the lacquer solvent still evaporates slowly so I just add thinner to reconstitute.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I often wondered what the 'solids' were in that mix...even the MDS sheet mentions talc.
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!
Robatoy wrote:

Actually, you can use any fine powder. Talc is good because it is non-absorptive.
--

dadiOH

Hell, it even says so in the MSD sheet...*smirks*

And here I thought you had forgotten us. ;^)

Makes perfect sense to me!
(humming... Blame Canada, blame Canada!) Jusssst kidding....
Thanks for the follow up.
Robert