MDF doors Paint and HVLP paint gun

To follow my previous question what is the best looking finish, and durable, I can put on those MDF doors, and is a HVLP spray gun connected to a compressor effective, compared to Turbinaire.

What make of HVLP should I be looking for.

Thanks.

Reply to
Yves

Catalyzed lacquer in an HVLP system gives pretty nice results. It dries very fast so you can put on lots of coats. You'll need them, too, cause that MDF will suck up the paint on the edges. I've only used the turbine systems, but I would assume it would work ok with a compressor-based system as well. You can get a real smooth finish this way.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

Thanks,

I assume that you need to dilute the lacquer, what proportion do I need to use in an HVLP system.

Thanks.

"Charlie Mraz" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com...

Reply to
Yves

I don't know exactly what the ratio is. I was helping a friend of mine paint some cabinet doors, and he mixed the stuff up. I don know it came from Sherwin-Williams. They could probably help you out there, or if you really want to know, I can ask the details.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Mraz

A quick coat of shellac or glue size on the edges may save a lot of time with the sprayer.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:07:01 GMT, "Yves" calmly ranted:

That depends on the brand/type of lacquer, the temperature, the humidity, the type of gun, the size of needle, and the phase of the moon.

Don't forget to hold your mouth right as you spray, too. Very important.

- DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.

Full Service Web Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thats why I use the splash system. Just splash some thinner in the cup before the lacquer and the amount will automatically adjust to the various variables listed. Now if the finish comes out bad then I just blame the mfgr and tell all my friends that brand x is terrible and we all switch to brand y then z then back to x. Overall the cycle takes about 8 months.

How does holding your mouth to the right help? Is this for left eyed people? Personally I think I'm right eyed but left handed, does that help correct it or should i spray right to left also?

Rich

Reply to
Rich